Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Poor mans lathe DRO's

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    If you have the money, buy a Mitutoyo. They maintain their position memory when turned off and the batteries last forever.

https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-500-...+caliper&psc=1

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Marv, While in Kuwait I learned the hard way that there are knock offs to Mitutoyo, which unless you send them to a lab for inspection you can't tell them from the real thing. After that while over there I vowed never to buy another of their products except from a well known reputable dealer or to buy a used one that had documented calibrations.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    If you have the money, buy a Mitutoyo. They maintain their position memory when turned off and the batteries last forever.
    That has been my experience also.
    It has also been been my observation that the accuracy and repeatability of vernier and digital calipers generally exceeds the user's ability to use them correctly.
    It is non-digital micrometers that I reach for when I need accuracy, which I check against a standard before any really important work. Although I am a bit anal about how I treat measuring instruments, I only look on calipers as rough and ready tools.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Mar 31, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Yes, proper use is important. With my Mitutoyo dial calipers I can easily detect a difference of less than a thou. The people who say that (quality) calipers are only good to a few thou aren't using them correctly.

I periodically check my dial and digital calipers with my Jo blocks and they're both good to a thou if the jaws are held properly on the block.

Micrometers are wonderful tools but they're overkill for a great deal of shop measurement.

One thing I don't do is use calipers to check the diameter of something being turned on the lathe. It's almost impossible to hold calipers perpendicular to the axis and get the jaws closed squarely. For that job, a micrometer is the right tool; not only is it accurate but it's mechanically suited to the measurement being made.
    Last edited by mklotz; Mar 30, 2017 at 10:26 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 30, 2017)

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post

https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-500-...+caliper&psc=1
    About the Mitutoyo, I'll probably do that, sooner or later, but when I look at the picture of that caliper on Amazon, I find it really close to the "standard" Chinese calipers, and I am never confident to buy expensive brands who make in the same factories as noname products.
    But this is unfounded, and I am ready to believe you, but that's probably why I didn't do it so far.

edit :
    It's funny, just after having written that, I looked on eBay and found this one :
    Mitutoyo 6'' 0-150mm/0.01mm Digital Caliper Stainless Steel Electronic Vernier | eBay

look at the description :
    Mitutoyo 6 inch 0-150mm/0.01 Digital Caliper Stainless Steel Electronic Vernier Calipers
    Note :
    It's high quality model made in China,
    but the components are the same as the original as well as the functions, please rest assured.

Last edited by Christophe Mineau; Apr 1, 2017 at 02:46 AM.
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Mar 30, 2017), Paul Jones (Mar 30, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Mar 30, 2017)

Thanks
    I imagine that the "high quality model made in China", is one of the knock-offs mentioned earlier. A few years ago I read a thread that compared battery life on these calipers. First off, most of these calipers do not turn off, they just blank the display. The Chinese calipers had the highest current draw (even with the display blank), thus the shortest battery life. The Mitutoyo's had the lowest current draw, so they had the longest battery life. In addition, the SR type batteries that Mitutoyo uses last much longer than the LR type batteries that the cheaper calipers use. You can use a SR replacement battery in the cheaper calipers to obtain a longer battery life.

Steve

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WyoGreen For This Useful Post:

Lance Maskell (Mar 30, 2017)

Thanks

DanLins's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WyoGreen View Post
    I imagine that the "high quality model made in China", is one of the knock-offs mentioned earlier. A few years ago I read a thread that compared battery life on these calipers. First off, most of these calipers do not turn off, they just blank the display. The Chinese calipers had the highest current draw (even with the display blank), thus the shortest battery life. The Mitutoyo's had the lowest current draw, so they had the longest battery life. In addition, the SR type batteries that Mitutoyo uses last much longer than the LR type batteries that the cheaper calipers use. You can use a SR replacement battery in the cheaper calipers to obtain a longer battery life.

Steve
    Look closely at the cheap knock-offs on eBay. Most have a resolution to the nearest 0.001", while the real ones are good to 0.0005". eBay does not seem to be able to police these knock-offs very well.

Dan L

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLins View Post
    Look closely at the cheap knock-offs on eBay. Most have a resolution to the nearest 0.001", while the real ones are good to 0.0005". eBay does not seem to be able to police these knock-offs very well.

Dan L
    I bought one to have as backup for when my cheap supermarket one died I had had it for six years,The"Mitutoyo" didnt last SIX weeks. junk

Thanks
    Agree. I used one of these for many years. I finally had to retire them due to the fact that the battery terminal broke and I could only repair it so well and the more I tried to fix it the worse it got until it would no longer work. But, they are great calipers and never had any other problems with them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Mineau View Post
    ...look at the description : Mitutoyo 6 inch 0-150mm/0.01 Digital Caliper Stainless Steel Electronic Vernier Calipers
    Note : It's high quality model made in China, but the components are the same as the original as well as the functions, please rest assured.
    Funny how salesmanship fosters suspicion, "...please rest assured".
    I rest best when assurance is not an issue; the point of a name brand. The phrase "Same as" is cheap, and NOT equal without genuine certifications. I can relate Aventor brand taking YT by storm, thoroughly wrung out. My old 6" TESA still hangs in there, replacement search will begin with those or Fowler Xtra-Value. I use digital calipers carefully, appreciative of "4 way measurement" feature, and selecting decimal stock by metric conversion. Most our work is metric based and while new material on hand is US and metric, drops aren't separated, so a little sketch & caliper is ideal. Just today ran some headed bushings w/ inside shoulder; from remnant tube with suitable bore to clean up. Long ago made leather 'holster' formed just like that for a revolver. Hangs by a large banker clip from belt/ waistband. Handy as a shirt pocket, 'cept won't fall out!

While changing out of work garb in the locker room today, had to laugh out loud, real loud.
    "Rest Assured" is printed on the package of toilet seat covers...
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Apr 1, 2017 at 08:25 AM. Reason: LOL
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 30, 2017)

Thread Information