Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Poor mans lathe DRO's

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Yes, definitely remove the batteries from any seldom-used tool. Also, if you store the batteries with the tool, ensure that they're in a plastic container of some sort; pharmacy pill bottles work well. Just because the batteries are out of the device doesn't mean they'll never leak. If they do they can make a mess of tool boxes.

Inevitably, you'll still need to clean up after a leak. A Dremel or Foredom fitted with this style wire brush...

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-443-02...mel+wire+brush

can easily get into those deeply buried battery holders. This style brush...

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-428-02...mel+wire+brush

works well in larger open spaces.

They're alkaline batteries so their deposits will loosen/dissolve in the presence of acidic solvents. I use vinegar on long cotton swabs like these...

https://www.amazon.com/SE-CS100-6-Co...bs+wood+sticks

and a miniature hot air gun on lowest setting to evaporate the last traces of moisture before installing new batteries.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 10, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Yes, definitely remove the batteries from any seldom-used tool. Also, if you store the batteries with the tool, ensure that they're in a plastic container of some sort; pharmacy pill bottles work well. Just because the batteries are out of the device doesn't mean they'll never leak. If they do they can make a mess of tool boxes.

Inevitably, you'll still need to clean up after a leak. They're alkaline batteries so their deposits will loosen/dissolve in the presence of acidic solvents. I use vinegar on long cotton swabs...and a miniature hot air gun on lowest setting to evaporate the last traces of moisture before installing new batteries.
    I've had luck too, cleaning up battery compartments the same way, but finishing with 70 to 90% isopropyl alcohol, finding it dries so readily.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Another argument for storing batteries in plastic containers...

It's almost impossible to accidentally short an AA-style battery. A 9 volt, on the other hand, needs nothing but brief contact with a screwdriver, nail, etc. or the side of the drawer in a metal tool box.

Many spare drill batteries have contacts so oriented that accidental shorting is a possibility. A little plastic goes a long way to preventing fires.

Oh, and one more warning...never carry 9 volt batteries in your change pocket. :-)
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    "Oh, and one more warning...never carry 9 volt batteries in your change pocket. :-)
    I'm not even going to ask how you learned that bit of information.
    I'll never forget my very first experience with 9v batteries. my dad had given me a little 2 transistor radio when it came time to replace the battery I somehow managed to pinch the tiny wires of the contact clip between the radio and the battery A few minutes later the radio was getting warm in my pocket by the time I got the battery out it was hot enough to burn my fingers after getting the wires separated and taped the radio was fine but I didn't have any finger prints on my thumb and fore finger for a while. Lesson learned 7 year olds don't always know as much as they think they do.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    "Oh, and one more warning...never carry 9 volt batteries in your change pocket. :-)
    I'm not even going to ask how you learned that bit of information.
    I was tempted to add the DAMHIKT acronym but, in this case, I was smart enough to know not to do that from an early age.

That's not to say I haven't shorted a few batteries in my lifetime. My first car was a VW bug. The 6 volt battery was under the rear seat so one had to prop the seat up to top up the battery. While doing that I managed to drop a screwdriver, with perfect aim, directly across the electrodes. The resulting cascade of sparks ignited the strands of burlap-like stuff hanging from the bottom of the seat. So here I was, wedged into the back of the tiny car, head under seat and the flames getting dangerously close to my hair. I always had a rag for mopping up spills so I was able to beat out the (actually rather meager) flames. But from then on I used a wooden strip to pry the cell filling caps loose.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    suds proof?

Thanks
    Thats cool , clean setup you got there . Now you can work in Sae and metric much easyer. great job

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Pete For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jan 12, 2019)

Thread Information