Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Power Tool Stand

Thanks

davidmoody's Tools

Power Tool Stand

Hello,

One of our pedestal fans died last week, so today it got reinvented as a Power Tool Stand. Firstly I removed the fan motor, keeping as many of the screws as I could (waste not want not!). Then, I cut all the wires off the back of the 3-speed switch and joined the three 'speed control' wires together at both ends to improve the flow of electricity for the power tools. At the top end of the stand I wired up a conventional power outlet. I discovered a wonderful coincidence that the screw holes on the power outlet matched the screw holes in the plastic cup at the top of the stand, so screwing it on was a breeze. I drilled two holes in the front of the plastic cup to attach a shelf bracket. I screwed down a piece of scrap wood on top, covering the bracket and the power outlet, and on top of that I screwed down the rear half of the fan cage. The finished product is a portable stand into which I can plug in my drills, and sit them in the basket on top when not in use. This means that on my small workbench I'm not loosing space sitting down my tools, or no longing needing to put my tools on the floor. There's also potential to add baskets or brackets around the stem of the stand for other tools like hammers, and anything else I might be using so that my worktable isn't cluttered with the tools I'm using.

Ok, yes, it's a makeshift bodge-up job, but it cost me nothing, and it reclaimed something that would have been sold for scrap for very little money. It will be a very useful additional to my workshop.

Power Tool Stand-img_4596.jpgPower Tool Stand-img_4597.jpgPower Tool Stand-img_4598.jpg

As additional bonus, the fan motor body has been recycled as a rag bucket in my little tool shed!

Power Tool Stand-img_4599.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidmoody For This Useful Post:

Jon (May 5, 2016), PJs (May 7, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks davidmoody! We've added your Power Tool Stand to our Dollies and Stands category,
    as well as to your builder page: davidmoody's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks davidmoody! We've added your Rag Bucket to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: davidmoody's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information