Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Preserve Open Caulk Or Silicone Much Longer - Save Money

Thanks

tsbrownie's Tools

Preserve Open Caulk Or Silicone Much Longer - Save Money

This helps keep opened tubes of silicone or caulking longer. I usually just use the plastic bag the store gave me when I bought the caulk. You can also use food wrap.

MATERIALS
    - Partially used caulk
    - Plastic bag, plastic sheet or plastic food wrap

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsbrownie For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Feb 22, 2019), jimfols (Feb 21, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 21, 2019)

Thanks
    I find that putting a blob of hot glue on the opening also works well.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I didn't know about the silicone reaction with metals. Thanks
    Jim

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jimfols For This Useful Post:

tsbrownie (Feb 22, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I keep extra nozzles on hand (not all the same thread by the way) and store in the bottom of the refridgerator & they last quite a long time. I know guys that put a screw in the end but this only lasts a couple of days & creates more issues with reaction.

The fridge idea also works well with BLUE glue for plumbing pipes, although my better half thinks it is a waste of refridgerator space (when we have 2 going anyway during summer).LOL.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    cannot recommend the plastic sheet, plus the store in fridge methods enough. I have a dedicated fridge used just for storing caulks, liquid nails, cyano-acrylate glues, etc. Just about every solvent based glue will last longer stored in a fridge, loctite (certain numbers) even requires it.
    it can be quite disconcerting for visitors to the shed when they see a fridge in there, presume it contains alcohol, and open it to find glues and similar.

FWIW - old fridges (kerbside pickups) make good insulated storage units. Paints, etc can be kept in a dead fridge and it prevents the cans thermal cycling with the swing from night and day - and that helps prolong the life of those sort of things as well. I have an old 2 door fridge. One compartment contains welding rods, fluxes, and other miscellaneous welding bits, the other door is mostly spray paints, and some minor explosives (rocket motors). if you're doing sensitive storage, a lock can be fitted pretty easily.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to desbromilow For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Feb 21, 2019)

Thanks

kess's Tools
    I keep the opened tubes into a can with water and last as well for long time.

Thanks
    Just place in a can with water

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by omniwatch View Post
    Just place in a can with water
    In my window fitting days we used to just insert a golf tee into the end of the nozzle, this can keep the nozzle from hardening as well, will keep it usable for a few weeks at least.
    Keep in mind that some modern silicone's will harden even underwater.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    cannot recommend the plastic sheet, plus the store in fridge methods enough. I have a dedicated fridge used just for storing caulks, liquid nails, cyano-acrylate glues, etc. Just about every solvent based glue will last longer stored in a fridge, loctite (certain numbers) even requires it.
    it can be quite disconcerting for visitors to the shed when they see a fridge in there, presume it contains alcohol, and open it to find glues and similar.

FWIW - old fridges (kerbside pickups) make good insulated stora ge units. Paints, etc can be kept in a dead fridge and it prevents the cans thermal cycling with the swing from night and day - and that helps prolong the life of those sort of things as well. I have an old 2 door fridge. One compartment contains welding rods, fluxes, and other miscellaneous welding bits, the other door is mostly spray paints, and some minor explosives (rocket motors). if you're doing sensitive storage, a lock can be fitted pretty easily.
    I learnt that when laminating benchtops from solid h'wood it was imperative to keep ureaformaldahyde in the refrigerator.

Not sure if you have seen my post on my home made drinks cooler (from a fridge freezer). My usual contents I store in it are glues, sanding belts (linisher & belt sander), epoxy, & timber & leather waxes and polishers=just about everything that heat can damage that is not suitable to store in a working fridge. I remove the contents to smaller eskys when we have a party like 18th & 21st etc. I've been using that one & previously another larger boat one (I gave to a friend) for a few decades: like McClowd said "works for me!"

cheers

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information