Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Priority Sorter; All hail importance of visualizing, precedence and sequencing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Priority Sorter; All hail importance of visualizing, precedence and sequencing.

Interesting, Google seems to have squashed the Knurling Calculator on PJs website, both it's online presence AND his contact me? The fact it's accurate multiplies their insult to PJs. Sure, an app promotes them instead. HMT.net to the rescue. PJs offers emailing it on request. Take that Goliath We smite thee severely about ankle and shin, and taunt you a second time! Not everyone is smartphone'd. But a freaking LOT of us are smart!

Excerpt of Mr. Rick Sparber quote on PJs Knurling Calculator.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    I agree. Spreadsheets are a powerful computer "language". If equations exist, spreadsheets can make them easy to use. Another way to use spreadsheets is to format numbers and text that can be simply printed out.
    Hats off to Excel and similar spreadsheet tools!

Rick
    Yes, voting again, again and again in favor of excel spreadsheets. Most creative use for me is textual in nature. Works in Word too, but figures are less convenient to manipulate, and columns don't want to play along. Bad dog! So...

The effort to get my shop off the ground calls for extremely long stretches of accomplishment. OK for most to be concurrent. Hence, I have 4 priority 'sheets' within a single excel folder 'SHOP'. All four are prospective, one includes current inventory.
    Building. described below.
    Grounds. fencing, driveway & parking, flagpole, landscape haha [severe torture of volunteer growth].
    Capital Equipment /Tooling. inseparable in my book. Populated by the total inventory and series, say NMTB 50 x diameter, or collets, rotary tables by size, QCTP by part number and description, etc but NO consumables.
    Vehicles. A real truck, trailer, fork and pallet lifts, certain artwork, everything transport related.

Central is every possible thing I'd do in Building without considering cost. Drive in ramp, hot water heat, big gantry crane, plumbing, air rifle range, windows, artwork banner depicting machine work [NOT a business sign!] it's zoned M1, 'guests' will figure it out, entry way, solar array, mezzanine, related projects such as wiring it up [not components just the project].

Not endless but there are many, many more. Last count, way over 6000 items. Near impossible for a person to memorize or categorize on paper, very impractical to insert or edit. And no, actually doing them all probably won't occur - yet considering them remains important. Whether you hobby or enterprise; if you're on ebuy, cramizon, craigslist [plug], or Lost Creek Machine [!plug!] expansion is on the mind. "Have I got one of those"? My glorified man-cave is 60 miles away, no way to recall every item. Good for insurance too.

Anyway, whatever sheet I'm adding/ editing text in sub-groups within any subject, identified by vertical text merged cells in far left column. Within, rows are numbered in one of 1-3-5-7 or 9 to rank order they should be performed. Numerals and text occupy same cell. Recommend not going beyond 9, just group and numeral accordingly. ie Drywall ceiling, cut access openings, make removable panels, blow insulation, replace 110v lamps, wire 440v/ 3ph, add transformer, add florescent 277v, and so on. So when you decide 'paint', simple to identify when; too early, convenient, too late. Convenient, naturally is shortest time span. It can hold up progress too. That's where all this really starts to perform...are there workarounds? Just type it anywhere in correct set of rows, apply odd numeral, highlight the rows, A-Z sort = KAPOW. You can add fifty items, number them, the sort function does the rest. And CtrlF search works bingo when you 'lose' or 'did I add?', irrespective to any set of rows. Ooops, there it is! A hip-hop sound bite would be funny here.
    Don't DELETE upon completion or when deciding 'No', just remove the numeral and re-sort. Avoids re-adding way down the road, BUT sometimes a new product, finding Blackbeard's treasure, or idea makes it work, just re-apply a numeral.
    Won't post it in actuality, considering size and entries not useful to anyone. I'll annotate a screen shot instead; just playing in excel teaches you how to do things. And doesn't require a full PC; all I have is a laptop! OK, and a few thumbdrives. Appreciate air gap security, best of all!

Never bothered to see what kind of software has been prepared to do this, unless it's freeware [+ learning curve], a waste cause excel is already in there! Could have initiated four or five entire sheets, against time used to compose and write this. Well, as of noon,...a lot of distractions, text alts and previewing for maximum clarity since then. I mean, there's but a few letters difference from brevity to levity.

As PJ's might say 'Oh my'...Sure enjoy everyone's feedback, and humor. I think prioritization is a big deal and precedence is what makes it work - just harder to discern and implement accurately.
    HMT.net and a particular 'Off Topic' thread has given myself such means to forget about 'the box' completely. Thinking just 'outside it' is so old school.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 4, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    TM 51 just think about this if boxes were spheres the number of corners for things to be tucked away in would be infinitesimal. the same thing applies to thinking outside of 1 the traditional box everyone commonly refers to generally has 6 distinct sides which translates to 6 ways of thinking where as a spherical box yields the same infinitesimal number of way to think outside of it each molecule of the surface becomes a distinct sides.
    -=-=-=
    Now apply this line of thinking to the theory of interlaced quantum prioritizing ( my term), you now have the ability to inject low priority items into high priority items when the constantly changing opportunistic circumstances present themselves.
    You may find that while looking for item 0009 you consider procuring item number 1269 and notice item number 3142 is on 90% off clearance sale which would enhance the completion of item 0087 while deleting the need for item 96.
    -=-==-=
    Just today while in town I noticed a mini gas war between 2 stations I knew I had 5 gallons of reserve gas for my welder at home but why not take advantage while in town so I filled the can I always have in the back of my truck When I returned home there was a note on my door from a neighbor I borrowed 5 gallons of gas will return it tomorrow.
    buying the gas hadn't been on a priority list because I only had a couple hours welding left on a project but the welder ran out of gas not 30 minutes after returning from town. With the reserve can temporarily AWOL. The opportunistic purchase saved me an hour's worth of aggravation

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 4, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 13, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I get an email from this thread. Before end of first sentence, I say to myself out loud, Hey Frank!
    Not having thought on the molecular level, guessing I still visualize that way, some how. Your "think outside of it each molecule of the surface becomes a distinct sides. " nails it.
    Happily linear, I can compare material purchases like "item 0009 you consider procuring item number 1269 and notice item number 3142 is on 90% off clearance sale which would enhance the completion of item 0087 while deleting the need for item 96".
    The priorities outline materials, of which quite a bit has been purchased, over time, but a bargains. Had to learn at least basics to enter correct terminology, or gauge of wire, translating spec plate on a transformer, etc. I'm no electrician. The brackets and couplers mentioned long ago were harder to solve than anything, until means to produce my own occurred. Anyone else would just say 'conduit' but I found new surplus 8''x8''x10' wireway 10 bucks a stick for 360'!- way less than large enough diameter retail EMT and far more accommodating. That led off the plan as it stands. Consumes some temporary floor space. Same for spools, disconnects, L16-20 plugs/ connectors and plenty EMT-boxes-connectors-strap hangers just for lighting. Had some cash when a local Sutherland's shut down, came out with all the EMT & fittings.
    Power company OK'ed 440v3ph from their pole, trunking it all overhead, with 12/4 SJOW drops. Paid a ton to create 65' free span that was 15 posts holding up the crappy roof. So if need be I can unplug and swing a looong bar. Only 2 @ 240v3ph, adjacent enough for one local transformer. 2 more are 460v50hz; each gets a VFD. Want things to run just as their chart specifies.
    Pretty happy with progress, even so slow. Impressed at least one electrician ''you figured all this out?"
    Yes, got to be in the know when dough is low. I never said that, more like a concept.
    But without that list and able to edit has been invaluable, I'd be all crossed up.
    Done writing for yesterday, it's almost 5am tomorrow!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 4, 2016)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Peter Sanders's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Interesting, Google seems to have squashed the Knurling Calculator on PJs website, both it's online presence AND his contact me? The fact it's accurate multiplies their insult to PJs. Sure, an app promotes them instead. HMT.net to the rescue. PJs offers emailing it on request. Take that Goliath We smite thee severely about ankle and shin, and taunt you a second time! Not everyone is smartphone'd. But a freaking LOT of us are smart!
    I think you'll find the removal happened by PJs because PJs is now SELLING the spreadsheet under the tool plans for sale. Here is the link. http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/p...lculator-52545

I was both surprised and disappointed by the "sale" of this spreadsheet as similar information is readily available on the net.

"The Little Machine Shop" Knurling calculator on which I assume PJ's spreadsheet is based, is still available on the LMS site. The calculation or formula is shown at the bottom of this page... Stock Diameters for Even Knurls - LittleMachineShop.com

If you know how to use Excel then it is a simple matter to copy and paste this formula into many cells and create your own knurling calculator.

II used the LMS formula in this SIMPLE Knurl Calc simple.zip spreadsheet it shows metric and imperial measurements for two knurl wheels. If you don't know how to create your own spreadsheet or extend this simple spreadsheet, then just change the number of teeth in the teeth count column the the number of teeth on your knurl wheels and the calculated values will change accordingly.

For those that do not want to do any of this, then you can purchase the PJs spreadsheet for $5.00

Regards

Peter

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    To clarify, PJs insisted on donating the sales from the Knurling Calculator plans to the site. I'm not sure if or how his calculator, or any of the links above, are based upon each other. I do agree that for paid downloads, you can find similar information online if you poke around enough, but $5 for what you get here is a good deal.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 4, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Nov 5, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Interesting thread guys and really enjoy the dynamic thinking of the posts. Very Creative TM and Frank the out of the box stuff sends me spinning. Back in the day I used to use MS Project for big endeavors with lots of resources and line item, kind of a relational spreadsheet...Nice Pareto stuff in it too but pricey and a learning curve. Enjoy the thought of using spreadsheets in a lot of apps...and do. However some clarity about my Knurling spreadsheet to Peter Sanders is in order, IMHO.

First: I gave the proceeds to HMT (Thank You Jon) because I never intended to make money with it, but to give it freely, only as a "Pay it Forward" to others who struggle with Knurling as I did in the beginning. Yes the information is out there in a general sense but takes a turn with Approximations and Never addresses it from a DP (ANSI) standard because there are no consistent standards for CP Knurl manufacturing and most of those use a % of the illusive CP for tooth depth. Additionally I found it difficult to find much at all of the other issues with setup, rigidity, and the actual function of the operation...hence my 6 page dissertation on every thing I found. And one last thing on this topic, I sent my original versions to Chris at LMS and when he read my dissertation and tried the spreadsheet he put a link on his site to mine...then responded with kind Kudo's and saying it looks like I need to change mine. He found as I did making a "Live" spreadsheet of this nature is quite a task.

It took almost year for Google to catch up before I could post it live for any to use...then 10 months later killed it and my Contact Me because they changed the way it was coded. This prompted me to pass it on to HMT. When it was live there were 1000's of hits and I gave 100's of copies away via the contact page...Including a PE (professional engineer) from a large (well known) manufacturing company who was having consistency issues on a 24/7 production line...worked for him.

Second: My spreadsheet is not an Excel version of the info on LMS. I found errors in using that formula during my trials and tribulations of attempting to make "Consistent Good Knurls". If you take the time to read and understand my lengthy dissertation on my website you will find on my CP Method page under "CP Rounding Method" a full explanation as to what the one posted on LMS is, how it works and why it is only an Approximation and will not create consistent good knurls on all sizes of materials. What I found when I downloaded your link to the LMS spreadsheet was to say the least, a rudimentary attempt at creating a sheet only for stock material sizes (not any size) and uses the Approximation CP (Rounding) method from the site...oh well.

Third: It's difficult in this world anymore Not to AssUme things. My policy is to be discerning as I can, research, try it on for size and sit with it in a quiet room for a while before I jump that chasm. Truly sorry if you think that a $5 donation is not worth 3 months of work and encourage you to continue on your path with what ever methods you see fit. May your knurls be consistent and good.

My hats off to the many Machinists I have known, for what it takes in practice, calculation and tooling to get a good precise knurl.

~PJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thread Information