Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pull Start Tool for Mower, Washer, Saw, Stimmer etc

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Stan View Post
    I strongly advise not using this technique as it would be very easy for the engine to start with the socket & drill still attached. That could easily result in significant injuries. You really need a bayonet style connection between the drill & the motor to be safe.
    Especially with the newer style lawn mowers that don't even have a throttle any more. The wife bought herself a new 22" Toro last spring no choke no primer bubble no throttle just check the oil, fill with gas, grab the handle hold the blade stop , pull the cord gently it either starts and runs or you take it back. It doesn't even have a drain plug to change the oil. That has to be sucked out with a hose down the fill tube.
    There was good reasons why pre electric start vehicles all had the bayonet style crank handle sockets on the crankshafts.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Dec 13, 2017), that_other_guy (Oct 18, 2022)

Thanks
    Can you explain what a bayonet connection is or shoot me a link? I am interested in doing something like this but don't want to hurt myself or my tools. Thanks so much!

2000 Tool Plans

Banned
    Supporting Member

Thanks
    Use Google or go to How Stuff Works

Thanks
    I tried Google before I asked, but wasn't able to find anything but war memorabilia and other unrelated things. Anyone else?

Banned
    Supporting Member

Thanks
    go to: Superior Mandrels - Tennessee Abrasive, Inc. The pic with the black background shows the bayonet mount on the end of the honing mandrel. Not a very good pic but it was the best I could find. If you have access to a drafting textbook you may find one in it.

Thanks
    Thank you!

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    the design concept is like those used in Model T fords and other vehicles the cross pin can either be in the crank itself or on the crankshaft here is a picture of a hand crank for one of my hit and miss engines
    Pull Start Tool for Mower, Washer, Saw, Stimmer etc-vintage-gas-engine-hit-miss-hand-crank-start-starting-handle-ua27a-6f12aa9b1edec2d76f39ae2723969.jpg
    Note that as soon as the engine is turning faster than the crank it will eject it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Oct 5, 2022)

Thanks
    I get the concept now. Turns one way to crank, but will kick the tool off when the shaft starts moving faster than the tool. Now I just need to figure out how to apply this to an engine. I appreciate it.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Dr Stan is right a one-way dog clutch would be very safe though or a pin drive, both were common on earlier cars and stationary engines and both easy to make. Does anyone know if the wind-up starters are still made? These had a spring loaded handle working through a dog clutch to wind up the spring, then a release button would 'let 'er rip'. came standard on some machines, optional extra on others and used to be available after market for many but I haven't seen one in years.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    The rope pull starters pretty much all use a system that employs spring retracted bits which engage when the rope is pulled the angle and shape of them and the corresponding socket mounted on the flywheel allows the engine to spin past them even if they do not imeadiatly fully retract, why not simply leave this assembly in place then attach a means to turn it with the drill motor? the addition of a one way dog clutch to the drill motor would insure double added safety

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Trojan Horse (Dec 16, 2017)

Thread Information