Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pulling a tooth with vise-grips and a hammer - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,837 Times in 11,335 Posts

Pulling a tooth with vise-grips and a hammer - GIF

When you're afraid of the dentist, but not the blacksmith.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 10, 2024), carloski (Jul 12, 2022), gunars11 (Jun 29, 2022), lassab999 (Feb 1, 2021), lastromantic49 (Aug 24, 2018), Saxon Violence (Aug 29, 2018), Seedtick (Aug 24, 2018), volodar (Apr 19, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I think I may have met that guy losing his tooth.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    could be Tom Hanks a few years on! or other guy(blacksmith) is tom yanks. NO BLOOD = must have been really infected=gangreen?
    Last edited by ranald; Aug 24, 2018 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I'd have to be pretty drunk to do that!

Thanks

OH Hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    When you're afraid of the dentist, but not the blacksmith.

<video controls autoplay loop>
    <source src="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmt-forum/vise_grips_hammer_tooth_extraction.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    Your browser does not support the video tag.
    </video>
    I have had many tooth drilled without Novacaine when I was young " fear of the needle", but never pulled.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Randyb76 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 27, 2018)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    That will be $500 please, plus $120 for the Xrays, plus $80 for the cocaine, plus $80 for the antibiotics, plus $50 for the pro-biotics to repair the antibiotic damage. Come back in a couple of weeks and we will fit the screw in bases for the crown, plus more $ for antibiotics etc etc etc. Once that has healed we will fit a custom made crown which shouldn't b more than $1800. Would you like a scale and clean while you are here. $ ding,$ ding,$ ding goes the cash register. Is it any wonder people do their own
    work like this.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

hansgoudzwaard (Apr 20, 2019), PJs (Aug 27, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I had a "temporary crown" done some years back."how long will it last? I asked before the "service"". "at least 10 years, usually longer and gauranteed for 12 months!" "OK, I guess $1500 is better than 5 grand plus more for complications & I might win lotto by the time it has finished: 2 visits about 1/2 hour. Ha Ha it lasted 13 months, so 5 years on I still have a broken tooth.
    Ya can't see it when I smile 'cause I don't smile. LOL
    Even my Doctor reckons, vets are bad enough, but dentists charge like cut snakes & that is saying something from him! OUCH. I really enjoyed "Cast Away" & can imagine the "do or die"= Gangrene in your jaw is a B..ch , I can asure you. I was sick for a very long time.

Cheers
    Ranald

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I have never had great teeth they are not smooth like most peoples are but have a surface texture more like 200 grit sand paper and more of a true ivory color than people who have those funny looking whiter than white bleached looking teeth. Consequentially due to some of my personal habits when I went into the Army in 71 the dentist thought that every little darkened stain was a severe cavity 95% of them were not cavities at all But they did the wire brush cleaning and grinding with their polishing pads anyway. Which did nothing but remove the higher grit textures reducing my teeth to about a 400 grit sand paper OK i was fine with that they were a ton easier to brush afterwards but then they decided to drill for oil in the still darkened spots yes there were a few of those holes that probably eventually should have been drilled but they came up with more dry holes than cavities and yet I wound up with a mouth full of amalgam which started the process of decay that may have other wise been averted for many more years. So in 73 I managed to break off a utility pole with my car also breaking 1 of my front teeth in the process
    Back to another dentist it had been 2 years since I had sat in 1 of their chairs He ground the remaining portion of the tooth to a shape that he liked then made a cast of it and had a Stainless steel & porcelain crown made for it. I later found out that the crown cost the Army 3000.00 to have made Man those Army dentist think a lot of the GI's I thought. anyway to this day I still have that crown in my mouth it is probably the only tooth in my mouth that has never been touched again. fillings started falling out when I was 40 had them refilled a couple of gold crowns in the back then in my 50's the fillings started falling out again. but since so many of the teeth have pretty much had the nerves in the root killed I haven't bothered with visiting a dentist except for a couple of times in Kuwait where I just had the offending tooth extracted. While I was over there I should have had them pull all of them and embed a few studs or screws and make me a set of permanent choppers They have great dentist over there all trained in both Germany and in the best universities here in the states For less than 2 grand I could have had a set of teeth that would last longer than my front tooth has lasted. But NO I put it off
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 27, 2018)

Thanks
    I was stationed in Germany for a 3 year stint back in the mid-60's and they had the BEST dentists I had ever seen and the very WORST doctors as well. I was a weapons load crew chief on F-102's and, during an ice storm, I slipped on an icy ladder rung while doing a preload check in the cockpit and fell about 6' on my right side on the tarmac. I broke a few ribs and was taken to the Army hospital in Landstuhl. By the time those doctors finally found the real CAUSE of all my pain, the infection from the peritonitis which had spread through my mid-section from the ruptured appendix almost KILLED me! they were so focused on their Xrays of my ribs that they never checked for any OTHER injuries and, what should have been a 4 day stay for a simple appendectomy turned out to be 4 1/2 weeks getting the infection cleared up AFTER the operation and letting the infected site drain of pus and such AFTER the operation. The surgeon, in good faith, I guess, decided to "install" the surgical thread in the open skin while he was sewing up the inner muscle and organs. After 2 1/2 weeks of constant draining, shot after shot of more antibiotics, and nurses who hovered outside the door to my room in ICU, [they would wait until I accidently fell asleep and then would rush in and wake me up for another shot!], the doctor came in and, using a pair of forceps to tear the skin away from the inner tissue after it started to grow back, [which burned like Hades!], removed almost 3' of drain tube laced throughout my midsection, [which burned like HELL!!], and proceeded to grab each one of the 11 stitches and pull them tight and tie them off. After I lifted myself off of the bed shouting various obscenities at this Quack, he noticed the beads of dried mucous, which had attached themselves to that thread that the surgeon had so neatly stitched in a couple of weeks prior, and he removed most of the large ones for me. Imagine, if you will, old dried up snot drainage as hard as a BB, being pulled with force through a series of stitch holes which had also started to grow shut until a BB ripped them open again. After the first stitch closure, I really didn't care if he left the rest of the BB's on or not, just so he got all of those stitches closed and snipped and left my room and me in peace!

I still have flashbacks of some of those days and nights and weeks of misery in Landstuhl Army Medical Center ..... and they never did do anything for the ribs, they just told me there was nothing to do and not to cough hard or sneeze for a few weeks ..... Uh huh, well I had already learned THAT lesson with 4 weeks of coughing and an occasional sneeze with an 8" open incision, not to mention all my buddies coming in and cracking bad jokes trying to make me laugh!! It got so bad, I automatically grabbed a pillow and crammed it into the side of my midsection whenever I caught a glimpse of anyone I knew coming down the hall.

There's a Post Script to this tale, when my barracks room mate came in to visit me after the operation, but that's a whole 'nother story .....
    Last edited by Clockguy; Aug 26, 2018 at 07:25 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clockguy For This Useful Post:

AuldSapper (Aug 27, 2018), PJs (Aug 27, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockguy View Post
    I was stationed in Germany for a 3 year stint back in the mid-60's and they had the BEST dentists I had ever seen and the very WORST doctors as well. I was a weapons load crew chief on F-102's and, during an ice storm, I slipped on an icy ladder rung while doing a preload check in the cockpit and fell about 6' on my right side on the tarmac. I broke a few ribs and was taken to the Army hospital in Landstuhl. By the time those doctors finally found the real CAUSE of all my pain, the infection from the peritonitis which had spread through my mid-section from the ruptured appendix almost KILLED me! they were so focused on their Xrays of my ribs that they never checked for any OTHER injuries and, what should have been a 4 day stay for a simple appendectomy turned out to be 4 1/2 weeks getting the infection cleared up AFTER the operation and letting the infected site drain of pus and such AFTER the operation. The surgeon, in good faith, I guess, decided to "install" the surgical thread in the open skin while he was sewing up the inner muscle and organs. After 2 1/2 weeks of constant draining, shot after shot of more antibiotics, and nurses who hovered outside the door to my room in ICU, [they would wait until I accidently fell asleep and then would rush in and wake me up for another shot!], the doctor came in and, using a pair of forceps to tear the skin away from the inner tissue after it started to grow back, [which burned like Hades!], removed almost 3' of drain tube laced throughout my midsection, [which burned like HELL!!], and proceeded to grab each one of the 11 stitches and pull them tight and tie them off. After I lifted myself off of the bed shouting various obscenities at this Quack, he noticed the beads of dried mucous, which had attached themselves to that thread that the surgeon had so neatly stitched in a couple of weeks prior, and he removed most of the large ones for me. Imagine, if you will, old dried up snot drainage as hard as a BB, being pulled with force through a series of stitch holes which had also started to grow shut until a BB ripped them open again. After the first stitch closure, I really didn't care if he left the rest of the BB's on or not, just so he got all of those stitches closed and snipped and left my room and me in peace!

I still have flashbacks of some of those days and nights and weeks of misery in Landstuhl Army Medical Center ..... and they never did do anything for the ribs, they just told me there was nothing to do and not to cough hard or sneeze for a few weeks ..... Uh huh, well I had already learned THAT lesson with 4 weeks of coughing and an occasional sneeze with an 8" open incision, not to mention all my buddies coming in and cracking bad jokes trying to make me laugh!! It got so bad, I automatically grabbed a pillow and crammed it into the side of my midsection whenever I caught a glimpse of anyone I knew coming down the hall.

There's a Post Script to this tale, when my barracks room mate came in to visit me after the operation, but that's a whole 'nother story .....
    Military medicine, like medicine but remarkably different.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AuldSapper For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 27, 2018)

Thread Information