Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Puzzle yard sale tool

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools

Puzzle yard sale tool

I went to the monster of all tool sales. Old guy must have been hoarding for years because The 45x65 barn was packed to the gills and all the equipment was buried in all kinds of stuff. Boxes and boxes of random stuff. I picked up an old Atlas 7b metal shaper and as we were un burying it I saw this. The relative threw it in for free because neither one of us knew for sure what it was. At first I thought it was a modified ball joint or tie rod press or something. But as I took the pix the part that looks like it was maybe added on, can't be. It has cast into it the Time tool Co. in Long Beach CA.
    Puzzle yard sale tool-image.jpgPuzzle yard sale tool-image.jpgPuzzle yard sale tool-image.jpgPuzzle yard sale tool-image.jpgPuzzle yard sale tool-image.jpg
    The barrel type unit that has the clamp around it has a threaded end to it and it can't be slid over the end of the threaded press, but it has clearance to slide over the threaded portion. The inside of the barrel is threaded for the knurled piece and the other end not threaded, but not super smoother either. It was obviously supposed to slip over something then tighten that clamp and then drive out whatever with the press screw. I'm not looking for any guesses, I'm hoping somebody here used something like this for like building hydrolic hoses or? Just caught my eye and being the magpie I am had to pick up the shiny thing for free Sooner or later it will find a use but it has been bugging me that after a search I can't seem to find its original use.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Jon (Nov 15, 2016), PJs (Nov 15, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Cool Tool C-Bag. My magpie would have snagged it also. I went down a bunch of rabbit holes on it and found nothing either even after a rather exhaustive search on Pat. Pending on the USPTO with Time Tool, Co. and the PO box. I did get some interesting hit for aircraft tools and mining boring things and something about swaging/hydraulic lines like you. Frank may know what it is. I be stumped but like the bullwinkle horns that were bent after installation, very much! Thanks for sharing this puzzle tool...hope some one says oh yeah...that's a...blinkinbob remover.

~PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

krisnanj's Tools

That actually looks like an old bottle corker of mine. The cork is placed in the upper cylinder and compressed by tightening the retaining ring. The whole thing is clamped to the lip of the bottle and the screw plunger pushes the cork in the neck. I don't think that yours is a bottle corker because you wouldn't need that kind of force to push a cork in a bottle. However, the general idea is there and there may be a more industrial application requiring the same process.

Puzzle yard sale tool-images.jpeg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to krisnanj For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Nov 20, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Good one krisnanj! I hadn't thought about that angle but that would explain the barrel assembly in that it's possible to load and clamp a heavy duty plug or something into it, then slip it onto the threaded plunger and screw on the knurled part. Then accurately push it into the hole on some kind of container. The barrel would certainly keep it straight and keep it from cocking while pushing it home. Maybe it was for putting plugs into those big glass jugs? It certainly is a big diameter ridged receiver or whatever you want to call the cast end of the tool that is made to fit onto something with a ridge. The clamp on the barrel might also be to compress the plug to help it go into the bottle or can?

Thanks
    As soon as I saw that I thought, That would work for forcing hydraulic hose fittings in to the hose. Then I saw PJs comment referencing the company made such tools. I think you should have looked around for the hose clamp that would have fit/locked in the grove of the yoke. It probably came as a set that included a banding tool, to be used to secure the hose end once it was forced into position.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry4Truth For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 21, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    You might be right too Jerry4Truth. The box it was in had totally random stuff like old hand tools, woodworking stuff and maybe the other pieces were in there but you had to see this place. It was totally overwhelming and there were cardboard boxes stacked on boxes on top of metal on machinery etc etc. nothing else looked like it was part of any set I'd ever seen. This truly was 20+guys digging through piles of stuff not knowing what the heck you were looking at. What one guy looked at and thought "what the heck?" and set down, the next guy would snatch up like he'd been searching for that all his life! To be sure there was a LOT of random hydraulics laying around like rams, pump units and controls. So maybe this was part of a set for making hoses, dunno. But if you look close at PJs search he came up empty handed and he's a Master Rabbit Hole Diver! I wonder if Mr. Pete222 would know what the heck this thing is.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 21, 2016)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Could it be an old valve spring compressor for doing a valve spring replacement with the heads on the engine?

Thanks
    Looks like a press on pulley or bearing remover.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information