Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Question about "plastic " material I found

Thanks

TheEquineFencer's Tools

Question Question about "plastic " material I found

A friend of mine has a bunch of about 3-4ft long sections of white round "plastic" stock in differant diameters. He said it came froma pharmasutical plat that was decommisioned. He said it was used to made bushings, bearings and roller. How can I find out what it is and what it's worth? He really doesnlt have a use for it. He gave me a flat "plate" that looks like the same stuff. Both look like the same stuff a cutting board is made out of.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    It sounds like it is UHMW natural rounds ( high density PE). There is a website Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com that sells several types of plastics that will give you an idea of what the costs are. Most machinists and will want some for stock, but getting the price that they do will be extremely difficult. I bought several semi loads of machine shop suplus materials about 20 years ago. I got rid of the metal almost immediately, but I still have quite a bit of plastics left. Good luck.

Bighig

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEquineFencer View Post
    A friend of mine has a bunch of about 3-4ft long sections of white round "plastic" stock in differant diameters. He said it came froma pharmasutical plat that was decommisioned. He said it was used to made bushings, bearings and roller. How can I find out what it is and what it's worth? He really doesnlt have a use for it. He gave me a flat "plate" that looks like the same stuff. Both look like the same stuff a cutting board is made out of.

Is it a pure white, or an off color white? If it is off color, it could be nylon, if it is pure white it could be Delrin.

Whatever it is, it's worth snagging on to.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Determine if it thermo setting or thermo plastic. 'Setting' is materials like bakelite, phenolics, corian too I believe, sometimes brittle in nature and most machine very well. The term 'setting' means heat doesn't make it pliable, or melt to reform into new product. Most household items are 'Plastic', that which can be melted and made into new items - the whole key to recycling. These are the poly's, and those delta marked containers. PVC, like plumbing pipe is unbelievably machinable - mill, drill, turn, bore...even threading. Excess speeds soften it though, and excess feeds tend to crush it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information