Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick Acting Drill Table Vice

Thanks

brianhw's Tools

Quick Acting Drill Table Vice

I made this little drill vice recently out of pieces of aircraft spec light alloy from my scraps box. It is based on the principle of the common pistol grip hand guns used for dispensing silicone, etc., ('monkey-up-a-stick' - like the very early VW beetle car jacks), and I did in fact re-use the actuating 'tab' from a scrap silicone gun. I also initially used the spindle but it turned out to be too soft and easily nicked by the tab. This was overcome by using the hardened and ground spindle from an old tailgate support strut which works extremely well. I have since been using it on my drill table and it is proving a success and a joy to use.
    Quick Acting Drill Table Vice-drill-vice-2.jpg

I have uploaded a video onto my YouTube channel showing the individual details and workings of this vice which I have included here:-

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to brianhw For This Useful Post:

AlexD (Apr 23, 2018), billster (Apr 23, 2018), blkadder (Nov 10, 2017), Bobinwa (Dec 12, 2016), bobs409 (Jan 29, 2017), Charron63 (Nov 30, 2017), Frank S (Dec 17, 2016), janders1957 (Apr 21, 2018), Jon (Dec 8, 2016), lavern s (Apr 23, 2018), Macca Boy (Jan 3, 2020), Moby Duck (Dec 9, 2016), oldcaptainrusty (Apr 21, 2018), Paul Jones (Dec 6, 2016), PJs (Dec 6, 2016), sossol (Apr 21, 2018), thehomeengineer (Mar 2, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Dec 6, 2016), uv8452 (May 11, 2022), Valter (Dec 16, 2016), Vyacheslav.Nevolya (Dec 10, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks brianhw! We've added your Table Vise to our Vises category,
    as well as to your builder page: brianhw's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    brianhw,

This is a nice build and the YouTube video has a lot of construction details. I too like to cut-off and reuse the piston rods from the air lift shocks.

Thank you,

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations brianhw - Your Table Vise is the Tool of the Week!

It's difficult to win this award with a vise (now the 475th one in our Vises Category!), but this is how it's done. The quick action will be adopted by many a future vise builder who has whiled away a good portion of his life spinning a vise. The use of the old ubiquitous dispenser gun was great, and car guys will be sure to grill you on the make/model of that 1950s window crank. The video showing the building of the tool means that this entry also gets put on the list for our December Best Documented Build award.

Many nice entries this week (I know I say that every week, but these days it's always true). Some picks: a Woodworking Vise by connan, a Laser Edge Finder by jjr2001, a Chuck Mandrel by Paul Jones, a fan-favorite Air Compressor by stan leiter, dispensing official Harley-Davidson air, a Pencil Air Die Grinder Lathe Toolpost Mount by xynudu, a Lazy Susan Welding Fixture by Frank S, a Truck Crane by ibdilbert, a why-didn't-I-think-of-that T Slot Filler by olderdan, and a Harbor Freight Lathe Cross Feed Repair Part by rossbotics. The Remote Controlled Relay by mklotz was also excellent, and another example of a tool that I think will be mysteriously cropping up in a lot of workshops.

You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, Giftrocket, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 2nd Tool of the Week win! One more and you'll join our other 3-Time Tool of the Week winners: rossbotics, mr95gst, Paul Jones, Christophe Mineau, immortalx, scorch, Brendon, Frank S, mklotz, Vyacheslav.Nevolya, jjr2001, olderdan. Here are both of your wins:

Congratulations and well done!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Dec 9, 2016), PJs (Dec 11, 2016)

Thanks

brianhw's Tools
    Hello, again, Jon,
    I am absolutely astonished and thrilled at winning the Tool of the Week for this QA drill vice. Having already won one of your nice t-shirts some time back for my homemade filing machine, I didn't expect it to ever happen again and a prize of $25 this time to boot - waow ! There are so many great ideas and tools here on the forum which I avidly peruse every day on the bulletins you send, which makes me even more surprised to win the Tool of the Week in such elevated company .

A Paypal transaction would be most acceptable.
    email :- brian.holywood@yahoo.co.uk

p.s:- If I may take this opportunity to ask you about something I have been wondering about since first becoming a member of the Forum, namely the question of whether or not I should post some of my older YouTube videos from my channel, where I've been posting pretty regularly for a couple of years now, under the (not so brief !) general title of Brian Davison's "No cost/low cost homemade garage and workshop items and tools". Some, but not all, might be of interest to other members, although there are certainly no potential Tool of the Week posts among them !
    Let me know your views on this, jon,
    Thanks again,
    brianhw

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Great, just sent over the award via PayPal. Congrats again.

To answer your question: YES! Post 'em if you got 'em. Lots of guys post "older" stuff here, but it's still new to us. You can post each and every video you have, each in a new discussion. Then we'll index each one in our encyclopedia, and add it to your builder page: Homemade Tools built by brianhw - HomemadeTools.net . If a specific video does not have a homemade tool per se, you can post it in the Tool Talk subforum. You can also add a link to your YouTube channel in your signature, and it would appear with every post you made.

We also give awards for Best Documented Build, and my new favorite award, the "Must Read" series of awards, that commemorate those with the most threads that have been moved into the Must Read subforum (like this thread).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Dec 17, 2016)

Thanks
    BrianW, That is a real winner in puny mind. I don't know if there are commercial versions of your vice, but I would think an investigation into whether there are and the possibility of patenting the design might be in the wind......Dennis

Thanks

brianhw's Tools
    Thanks to Paul Jones and Gramps43 for favorable replies.

As regards Dennis' suggestion of investigating patenting this, it's a definite no-no in my view. There's nothing really new under the sun and somebody somewhere has undoubtedly come up with a vise like this long before me. The basic principle has been well established for years with the silicone dispenser gun and the early Volkswagen jacks, to name but two, and all I did was to incorporate it into this little vise.
    I do sincerely hope though, that other members with machining facilities are encouraged to try their hand at making one of these, as mine since being made, is now used constantly and has become my favorite tool of the month !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to brianhw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I like your quick vice and yes I can see one being made for my smaller drill press and have been thinking of a larger version with twin rods Only time will tell if I ever get around to making 1 or 2 since I have more started or planned projects on the plate now than I can complete in several lifetimes
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Here is the Heinrich quick vice patent from sometime in the 1950s

https://www.google.com/patents/US2424313
    On my 11" column 4 ft arm radial drill press with raising table that I used to have we had a 6" Cardinal speed vice Those had a Buttress thread and a half nut very fast action and extremely strong
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thread Information