Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quick Acting Drill Table Vice

Thanks
    BrianW, I saw one very similar while watching a video on You Tube a couple of days ago, it's definitely a winning concept.....Dennis

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

brianhw's Tools
    Hi, Frank S, & Gramps43,

Lo and behold - didn't I say in my reply to Gramps43 previously, that somebody somewhere is bound to have come up with a vise design like this, and there Frank has found one right away on EXACTLY this principle - the Heinrich Vise - designed and patented way back in 1943 ! Very interesting indeed.

He used 2 rods for locating the sliding jaw and one as the 'pusher'. When talking about making a larger version with twin rods, I assume you mean like this, as distinct from twin 'pusher' rods which wouldn't be necessary as any off-centre clamping forces are taken by the jaw sliding rods in the case of the Heinrich vise (or the moving jaw tenon in the slot in the base as on my conventional design). I briefly considered dovetail location at the outset but opted for the easier to make basic tenon idea in the end.

In the distant past when working in and around machine shops, I have come across the vises you refer to with the buttress thread and the half nut although have never actually used one myself. The threads would have had to be kept well clear of swarf, otherwise the not fully engaged thread would have a tendency to jump out of engagement ? They were all large vises (6"+), which makes me wonder if it would be viable to make a small, say 3" vise on this principle - then again why not ?

Here's another interesting alternative which I have just discovered on YouTube - definitely worth a look :-

Thanks for reply Frank & Dennis and you're both very welcome to the club of 'never ending planned projects' of which I am a lifetime member !

p.s:- Dennis, could you tell me where on YouTube you saw the vise similar to mine ?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I'm not sure if my Speed vice was actually a Cardinal speed vice or not It's shape and look were exactly as one I saw in a video but the buttress thread on mine had a slight over hook to the thread which meant when you tightened it even slightly you could not knock the screw out of the half nut with a pry bar or even a hammer There is another name for a modified buttress thread but that escapes me at this time My 6" vice had an opening of about 8" and had nearly the clamping force of a good sized bench vice . Nowhere near accurate enough to be used as a mill vice due largely to many thousands of parts having been clamped in it and countless hole drill with its use. But it had very few accidental drill bit strikes in the main body I did drill 2 hole in the fixed jaw on purpose to add a stop gauge like often found on a band saw to locate the parts edge against.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Congratulations brianhw, your Table Vise is our Best Documented Build winner for December 2016!

Great month for build documentation, but you won this one with a nicely-edited video complete with annotations.

Some other well-documented builds this month include a Screw Size Gauge by mklotz, a Hydraulic Press by tonyfoale, a Faceplate Balancing Fixture by Metaler, a Lathe Cross Feed Housing by rossbotics, an Air Grinder Tool Post Mount by xynudu, as well as two rgsparber articles: Improving a Dremel Drill Press and Making a Crush Collet.

Please confirm your email address via PM to me, and I'll get your $35 award sent out, via your choice of PayPal, Amazon, or bitcoin.

Congrats again!

Here are all of our previous monthly Best Documented Build winners:

Thanks
    do you have drawing with specs for this? it is somethiing that with a tiny bit of Mod, would suit a job I have for my grizzly 0759 mill which has a height issue...thanx and gr8 work!

Thanks

brianhw's Tools
    Unfortunately, Charron63, I didn't draw up any plans for this vice, other than a few sketches on a piece of cardboard at the time. But if you examine any cheapo cartridge type hand gun and design the mechanism that presses the 'trigger' for eccentric 'cam' action instead of the simple 'push' of the cartridge gun, you are basically there.
    Thanks for the positive comment and I hope you are successful in your venture. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information