Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Quick-Change Tool Holders

Thanks

fandres's Tools

Quick-Change Tool Holders

Hi everyone some time ago I purchased a quick-change tool-post which came with 3 tool-holders and still found myself constantly changing tools in the tool-holders, not that quick after all. I decided to make 4 additional tool-holders from stock I had. The aim was to get 2 holder out of each piece of stock. The size of the stock was not big enough to bore the centre out to the final size and then split it to get 2 holders. So I bored out the the centre about 9 mm smaller to 50 Ø mm on the lath and split the the stock into 2. The next step was to machine the holders to size before boring the radius for the spline to 29.75mm. For boring the final radius I modified the boring head as per the post from tonyfoale
    (http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/i...6968#post84735 ) it worked perfectly thanks tonyfoale. To cut the splines I made a holding fixture and mounted it on the turntable using the the original centre of the tool-post and a tool-holder for the setup. To centre the blanks on the fixture I used dummy tool-post centre that had the same radius as the blanks, the dummy was centred on the turntable using a tapered stub that fitted into the centre of the turntable. To cut the splines I used modified 120 deg spot drill . After drilling and tapping the setscrew holes and making the height adjustment brackets the last thing to do was to zinc-plate the holders.

Quick-Change Tool Holders-dsc_0063-2-.jpg
    Quick-Change Tool Holders-dsc_0032-2-.jpgQuick-Change Tool Holders-dsc_0029-2-.jpgQuick-Change Tool Holders-dsc_0035-2-.jpgQuick-Change Tool Holders-dsc_0036-2-.jpgQuick-Change Tool Holders-dsc_0041-2-.jpgQuick-Change Tool Holders-dsc_0055.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fandres For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jun 18, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Jun 19, 2018), mwmkravchenko (Jun 18, 2018), NortonDommi (Jun 19, 2018), Paul Jones (Jun 18, 2018), PJs (Jun 19, 2018), rossbotics (Jun 22, 2018), Seedtick (Jun 18, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 17, 2018), uv8452 (Jan 9, 2022)

Thanks

almarghi's Tools
    Very nice job. Congratulations!

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks fandres! We've added your Quick Change Tool Holders to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: fandres's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks fandres! We've added your Spline Cutting Holding Fixture to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: fandres's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information