Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick and dirty but awesome creeper

Thanks

jere's Tools

Quick and dirty but awesome creeper

I have put up with a hft low profile creeper for about 2 years now. Was a step up from coroplast but not by much. The whole plastic body always flexed changing the alignment of the abysmal castors. The casters would get snagged on the smallest pebble or cat littler crumbs (cheap oil absorbant) that got missed by the broom. Combined the two problems and the confined space under the car make for a miserable experience. The plastic and head cushion arent any more forgiving than coroplast in concrete. So when the $20 creeper cracked its castor mount my day was made.

I am generally struggling to pay the bills, so i have come to do as my grandparent's parents have done in the great depression era. Save everything i can use later on, "waste not want not". While the new creeper i made is not made with new materials or pretty in the least to look at, it cost nothing but time to make. All its parts are pulled from old would be junk. It is also stronger, more comfortable, and rolls across the floor like an astronaut in a space odyssey!

The frame is made from parts of a curbside treadmill frame, a log rack from a 1940s school house wood furnace, and some random scraps of emt tubing. I could have welded the frame together but i have buckets of old screws / bolts salvaged from the gambit of house hold appliances. The castors are a combo of rollerblade wheels and the defacto hft creeper castors. I drilled out the rivets holding the old non bearing hft wheels and replaced them with the dual bearing rollerblade wheels. This lowered the overall center of gravity of the creeper , (as the rb wheels were shorter) and makes the creeper roll like a mechanic s dream. The creeper will actually roll to low spots on a basically flat garage floor. i can rotate 360* holding a suspended brake rotor with one hand

The cushion is still a work in progress as i need to find some fake leather couch and harvest its vinyl (for now it is covered with some old hotel pillow cases for now). The foam is from a saabs back seat trimmed to fit.

Quick and dirty but awesome creeper-20151104_172524.jpg

Quick and dirty but awesome creeper-20151104_172534.jpg
    Quick and dirty but awesome creeper-1446686180197-1852422149.jpg

Quick and dirty but awesome creeper-20151104_172550.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jere For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Nov 5, 2015), Paul Jones (Nov 5, 2015), PJs (Nov 5, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    I know what you mean on those flexy creepers, jere. Great job on cobbling this together.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jere (Nov 5, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks jere! We've added your Creeper to our Automotive category, as well as to your builder page: jere's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jere (Nov 5, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Great use of available parts. I know what you mean about "waste not want not" having parents who were in their early twenties in the Great Depression and made sure I learned this lesson.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Nov 5, 2015), jere (Nov 5, 2015), PJs (Nov 5, 2015)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Manitoba Man's Tools
    Jere
    Spare me from cheap creepers. The roller blade wheels have got me thinking. I picked up an old creeper cheaply at a pawn shop. That's almost as unusual as finding the creeper itself. I will give it the roller blade wheel treatment. The steel wheels catch in every pitted spot in the floor. Thanks for the idea. We are not plagued by Harbour Freight here in Canada but have cheap junk too.

Bob

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manitoba Man For This Useful Post:

jere (Nov 5, 2015), Paul Jones (Nov 5, 2015), PJs (Nov 5, 2015)

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Good idea Bob, i would love to see what you come up with. I never took the opportunity to try the roller blade wheels on the plastic creeper. i think they would have even improved that excuse of a creeper. I bet an old solid creeper with the bearing wheels would a great combination.

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Nice build and excellent re-purposing, Jere! I also hear you about the depression era mindset! Reminded me of my "Hemi-Hauler" I made a couple hundred years ago out of an old bed frame and other scraps. I did a lot of brakes and front end stuff over those years plus Lots of motorcycle work and got tired of being on my knees. A thought for your cover is re-purposing an old car seat covering, the woven nylon type, hold up better than naughahyde/vinyl. I used that on my Hemi-Hauler seat and it's still on there, surviving screwdrivers, chemicals, my big'o bum (6'6" 250) and the kids riding it down the driveway...still have it. Wish they had Inline skates back then...nothing more irritating than getting caught on a crack or pebble while trying to hold 50lbs or more with one hand! ~¿@ Thanks for the share and memories! ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

jere (Nov 5, 2015)

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Nice build and excellent re-purposing, Jere! I also hear you about the depression era mindset! Reminded me of my "Hemi-Hauler" I made a couple hundred years ago out of an old bed frame and other scraps. I did a lot of brakes and front end stuff over those years plus Lots of motorcycle work and got tired of being on my knees. A thought for your cover is re-purposing an old car seat covering, the woven nylon type, hold up better than naughahyde/vinyl. I used that on my Hemi-Hauler seat and it's still on there, surviving screwdrivers, chemicals, my big'o bum (6'6" 250) and the kids riding it down the driveway...still have it. Wish they had Inline skates back then...nothing more irritating than getting caught on a crack or pebble while trying to hold 50lbs or more with one hand! ~¿@ Thanks for the share and memories! ~PJ
    Great idea for the cover that older stuff really does hold up better. I will see what i can track down. Your hemi hauler sounds really cool, you should share it if you get a chance. I think people today rely to much on just buying new when the old breaks. We are slowly losing our ingenuity one generation at a time. Sharing older ideas and designs seems like a good way to reverse that.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jere For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Nov 5, 2015), PJs (Nov 5, 2015)

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Jere that looks so comfortable id fall asleep under there....:O)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 5, 2015)

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainleeward View Post
    Jere that looks so comfortable id fall asleep under there....:O)
    Ha i did find myself starting to doze off after an extra long day already.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jere For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 5, 2015)

Thread Information