Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: quick no machining lathe carbide insert tool holder

Thanks

penca's Tools

quick no machining lathe carbide insert tool holder

hi guys

this is just for the sake of sharing a quick and dirty job in case it serves someone sometime

last sunday a friend came needing a quick repair on a tool holder for some tc?? being the situation what it was i looked for a simple way hoping for the best

i took a piece of 1018 16mm cold rolled, cut about 25mm, spliced in half and cut on one of the halves the shape of the insert with an angle grinder, yes i know.
    tried to keep the triangular shape the closest to the insert shape but tilted the cutoff disc a bit from vertical to mimic the side rake (? sorry if i mess up the lingo) so the angle of cut is a bit less than the angle of the carbide (for the edge to be the first contact with the pieces cut and prevent from moving or vibrating)

as the splicing of the cold rolled with a saw left a rough surface i marked the inverse angles i wanted on the smooth side and cut from it, working from what would become the top would render the same angles

then i placed the smooth sides facing each other and tig welded with plain er70, getting to the wire edges is kind of sketchy but some techniques can be used providing you don`t have a pedal to control amperage, chill blocks made of aluminium or copper or a small tack with way low amps, followed by some touchup with a small file ...(if someone needs to try this hack type tool practice first as it is pretty annoying to have an edge melt on you and fup the weldment)

silver solder would be a better option but i was left without filler or gas for this

drilled a 3.50mm hole for an M4 (i know it`s a bit on the loose side), and a shallow pilot 4mm to help the tap line up in the hole.
    the hole is offset (i mean to the back of the tool holder) by a tenth or so of millimeter so the standard allen m4 countersink would pull the insert back a little. no special insert allen or torx available

after all the hackyness i only hoped for the tool not to break but worked well, no chatter (within reasonable feed) it has now like 6 hours on it and two inserts (cleaning the inside of some erw tubing). friend could work all sunday and meet his deadline so in a way it was a success

hope the fine machining gods forgive me and take this just as an extreme last resort

regards

pete

ps thanks for all the guys posting the amazing tools i hope to have enough time to make before i kick the bucket
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quick no machining lathe carbide insert tool holder-20160823_013205.jpg   quick no machining lathe carbide insert tool holder-20160823_013212.jpg   quick no machining lathe carbide insert tool holder-20160823_014859.jpg   quick no machining lathe carbide insert tool holder-20160912_234723.jpg   quick no machining lathe carbide insert tool holder-20160912_234805.jpg  

quick no machining lathe carbide insert tool holder-20160912_234821.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penca For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Sep 21, 2016), Paul Jones (Sep 13, 2016), PJs (Sep 13, 2016)

Thanks

penca's Tools
    guys! forgot to add something very important! while making this tool check the fit in your lathe toolholder turret or qctp as it came in first attempt the tool was too high in relation to the center height and had to cut and re-weld. sorry i forgot to mention in the original post, my friend saw this yesterday and reminded me of making a note.
    pete

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information