Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Radial Arm Saw Table/jig

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Yup I know what you mean a pal of mine ran a piece of 1 x 4 one handed through his table saw- no miter gauge or any thing else. I damned near croaked. I don't hang around with him any more. He though I was crazy!

At any rate here is Mr Sawdust's son Wally showin' us what it is and might be like. Good bearings and straight and square everywhere can be pretty amazing.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Brendon's Tools
    John
    I find a well tuned RAS a pleasure to use. I much prefer it to the table saw or any of the mitre saws that are out there.
    B

2000 Tool Plans
    Visit my blog at www.waneyedgeworkshop.com

Thanks
    Hi,

A surprisingly useful tool and a very well-presented build. Your Radial Arm Saw Table is our 'Best Documented Build' for March, 2016!

You'll be receiving a $35 online gift card.

Just send me your email address (via PM) and we'll get things processed directly.

Congrats!

Ken

Thanks

Sleykin's Tools
    My old Monkey Wards 10" RAS will cut a 4X4 in one pass. Amazing saw really. Gear drive with a blade clutch and two auxiliary shafts for mounting router bits or sanders. One is high speed and the other turns the same speed as the blade. I bought it used for $75 and I wouldn't trade it for any other saw I have seen. It turns into a pin router in a few minutes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Radial arm saws I am comfortable with; if properly maintained. Until recently, hadn't a personal need for one. But.......
    Next project is to enclose the building's ceiling and Brendon's bachelor RAS course sold me on acquiring one. There are 50 trusses 65' wide to bridge for drywall, being able to hold size consistently will speed it up a lot. I see no reason to alter a thing in his design.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleykin View Post
    My old Monkey Wards 10" RAS will cut a 4X4 in one pass. Amazing saw really. Gear drive with a blade clutch and two auxiliary shafts for mounting router bits or sanders. One is high speed and the other turns the same speed as the blade. I bought it used for $75 and I wouldn't trade it for any other saw I have seen. It turns into a pin router in a few minutes.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Could you ID the MWards saw- model# voltage etc a picture of the ID label and the whole saw, possibly?
    Thanks
    JohnMTO

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I have owned both radial arm and table saws each have their good and bad points. For instance you can forget trying to end cut dado cuts on a RAS and while sleds can be used to make center cross cut tennoin notches on a TS a RAS will do the job much quicker.
    body parts can and will be removed by either one without taking precautions during the operation of either but this is true of most power equipment

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information