Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Radius gauge and reverse engineering

GKK
    Thanks
    Thanks. A tool I do not have, but sure could use.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

scrdmgl's Tools
    Hi Tony:
    Could you please describe the principle behind this radius gauge? I have uses for it but I need to understand its application.

Thanks

Jorge

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by scrdmgl View Post
    Hi Tony:
    Could you please describe the principle behind this radius gauge? I have uses for it but I need to understand its application.
    Jorge
    Did you read the PDF file? I think that it is explained well in that. If that doesn't answer your needs then please ask a specific question and I'll try to help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by scrdmgl View Post
    Hi Tony:

Thanks

Jorge
    Not to intercept Tony, with such a well developed tool and programming:
    The dial indicator reads contact, plus or minus of plane established by the outboard 'feet'. Knowing distance between outboard feet [chord], and midpoint distance found by indicator [arc] boils down to representative geometry, or calculative trigonometry. It's all around us...roadways, bridges, ballistics, architecture, navigation, astronomy, surveying, even ocean towing by chain/ wire rope.
    And recreating castings from machined billets.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Dec 29, 2018 at 04:02 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Awesome👍👍 such a simple idea but very useful. And the cherry on top is the wooden case. Nice touch.

Thanks
    Thanks for this nice tool. I have to make one, its soo cool !

prm

Thanks

Alternative formula

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    I have just enhanced the software to allow calculation of the curve radius and centre coordinates when the XY coordinates of three points on a curve are known.
    This is useful if you use the DRO on a milling machine to determine the coordinates of three points. This does not need the radius gauge described above.
    The link to the software is the same as that in the PDF RadiusGauge.pdf
    Tony,

I always read your articles with interest. As I had not used my brain over Christmas, I decided to work out the formula for the radius before reading the appendix.
    I ended up with a different and, perhaps, a simpler formula: R=(s^2 + h^2) / 2*h
    (where s is half the distance between the probes, h is the value on the indicator and, ^2 means 'squared')

I hope you won't mind if I also note that there are some typos in the pdf file : in the sections were you discuss errors in the indicator reading and errors in measuring the probe spacing, the radius value are not correct.

Regards,
    Paul

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by prm View Post
    Tony,

I always read your articles with interest. As I had not used my brain over Christmas, I decided to work out the formula for the radius before reading the appendix.
    I ended up with a different and, perhaps, a simpler formula: R=(s^2 + h^2) / 2*h
    (where s is half the distance between the probes, h is the value on the indicator and, ^2 means 'squared')
    Paul,

I always like to find an easier way regards of where it comes from but I just don't follow your formula. Please show the full derivation. I assume that brackets could enclose the 2*h as (2*h) for clarity and that it is not ((s^2 + h^2) / 2)*h, to remove any ambiguity. In any case I am just not getting it, sometimes we get tunnel vision.

I hope you won't mind if I also note that there are some typos in the pdf file : in the sections were you discuss errors in the indicator reading and errors in measuring the probe spacing, the radius value are not correct.
    I never mind it when errors are pointed out. Thanks, I'll check it out later, I am on the wrong computer at the moment.

prm

Thanks

Alternative ormula

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Paul,

I always like to find an easier way regards of where it comes from but I just don't follow your formula. Please show the full derivation. I assume that brackets could enclose the 2*h as (2*h) for clarity and that it is not ((s^2 + h^2) / 2)*h, to remove any ambiguity. In any case I am just not getting it, sometimes we get tunnel vision.
    Tony,

I have produced a document with the derivation. It is very convenient that the r^2 terms cancels out and leaves a remarkably simple formula.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Tony,

I have produced a document with the derivation. It is very convenient that the r^2 terms cancels out and leaves a remarkably simple formula.

Cheers,
    Paul
    That's much better. At first I did think about going the (r-h) route but I thought that it would end up being more complex so I did it the way that I did.
    I'll amend my pdf to show your derivation.

Thread Information