Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: RC Model EDF Thrust Stand

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

RC Model EDF Thrust Stand

Here is a little Static thrust tester for electric ducted fans. These EDFs are currently used in model aircraft of all sorts.This fixture will hold any fan from 40mm to 90mm. 90 mm is the largest that I have used it with. I "calibrated" it in lbs. This is a rough calibration using calibrated spring scales and then simply marking the slide.
    The slides are just ball bearing drawer slides that have the grease removed and then coated with a bit of silicone spray lube to reduce friction. Works fine for obtaining the thrust that a motor/fan combination will produce. If I need more accuracy I replace my spring with a digital scale and read the thrust directly from it.

It can also be used once the EDF assembly has been installed in the aircraft. I simply place the fixture against a post or wall and insert the nose of the plane in the black housing that is shown in the picture. (normally a fan and motor would be installed there). Once it is in place and the plane is ready just run up the throttle and measure the static thrust.

RC Model Thrust Stand
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RC Model EDF Thrust Stand-dscf0006.jpg   RC Model EDF Thrust Stand-dscf0007.jpg   RC Model EDF Thrust Stand-dscf0008.jpg   RC Model EDF Thrust Stand-dscf0009.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Mar 19, 2021), Jon (Nov 25, 2016), KustomsbyKent (Sep 6, 2019), olderdan (Nov 20, 2016), PJs (Nov 24, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your EDF Thrust Tester to our Model Making category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Jon; Oct 23, 2021 at 12:52 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Nov 24, 2016)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations jjr2001 - your EDF Thrust Tester is the Tool of the Week!

Lots to be thankful for with this week's homemade tools. As our volume of tools increases, we seem to be favoring the unique submissions, and this one (like last week's Dividing Indent Tool by olderdan) certainly qualifies.

Other nice picks this week: a Dummy Load from rep, a basic but very clever Purple Primer Marking Pen from rgsparber, a nice Lathe from pfredX1, and a Propane Tank Air Compressor from ibdilbert. We also saw multiple nice additions from Metaler, including Sash Clamps, Compact Clamps, and a Milling Cutter Chuck.

You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, Giftrocket, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

And most importantly, this is your...

Third Tool of the Week win!

Here are all of your Tool of the Week winning tools:

You're our 12th 3-Time Tool of the Winner, and in good company with these other previous winners: rossbotics, mr95gst, Paul Jones, Christophe Mineau, immortalx, scorch, Brendon, Frank S, mklotz, and Vyacheslav.Nevolya, olderdan (all award winners are listed here).

We've added the bronze wrench-on-pedestal award to your postbit beneath your avatar:

Congrats again and well done!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Nov 25, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Way to go JR! Congratulations on your 3rd TOW award! Your thrust tester is pretty cool and really like that you can put the airplane in it also for a true test. Well deserved. Thanks for all you've brought to HMT!! ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Nov 25, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks Jon and Pjs. Like TM51 mentioned in a post a short time ago Homemadetools.net is more than just a web site. It is a great source of information and motivation. I really enjoy this resource of mechanical, electrical and other how to information.

Cheers, JR

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 25, 2016)

Thread Information