Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Reading hidden labels

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Reading hidden labels

Got a label plate on the back of a machine that, because of its location, is impossible to read? Set your point and shoot camera to macro mode, autofocus and snap a photo. Flash may create too many hot spots in the resulting image. Usually, you'll have better results turning the flash off and illuminating the label with a shop light.

Pop the resulting photo into any image manipulating software (there are some good free ones) and you can magnify and diddle the brightness and contrast until you can read what you need to.

BONUS HINT:

Many folks remove these label plates when repainting a machine and destroy the fasteners in the process of removal. Then they don't know what the name of those fasteners are when they go to order more. They're called "drive screws" and look something like a rivet with woodscrew threads on the shaft.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Got a label plate on the back of a machine that, because of its location, is impossible to read? Set your point and shoot camera to macro mode, autofocus and snap a photo. Flash may create too many hot spots in the resulting image. Usually, you'll have better results turning the flash off and illuminating the label with a shop light.

Pop the resulting photo into any image manipulating software (there are some good free ones) and you can magnify and diddle the brightness and contrast until you can read what you need to.

BONUS HINT:

Many folks remove these label plates when repainting a machine and destroy the fasteners in the process of removal. Then they don't know what the name of those fasteners are when they go to order more. They're called "drive screws" and look something like a rivet with woodscrew threads on the shaft.
    If they even bother to replace the plate or almost as bad, if they don't remove it they don't bother to protect it from a repaint.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    We don't need no stinkin' serial numbers....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

grandviewdoug (Feb 8, 2017)

Thanks
    Great tip... I took the picture but couldn't get a good one; wish I'd thought of the editing software. In many cases you can also use an old CD as a mirror to hold in a good spot (or attach to those extension "grabbers" from the drugstore if it's a difficult reach). Again, it may require the area to be lighted....

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information