Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Rear Splash Guard for Myford Lathe

Thanks

natie123's Tools

Rear Splash Guard for Myford Lathe

Although this splash guard was made for my Myford ML7R long bed lathe, the design could probably be adapted for many other lathes. The splash guard consists of a welded frame (25x25 mm square tubing) and a surplus back plate from a set of steel shelves (Photo 1 and Fig 1). The plate is affixed to the frame with pop rivets. The splash guard is 550 mm high and 912 mm wide.
    I had a few basic requirements:

1. The guard had to include storage space for often used tools (Photo 1). I keep the tools, grouped together by use (e.g. chuck keys), in margarine tubs placed on the shelf. This way I do not have to rummage around on the shelf for tools while stretching over a running late, but rather remove the whole tub when selecting tools.
    2. The motor had to be protected from swarf, but still be easily accessible for maintenance. The frame was drilled and tapped and the motor splash guard was fixed to the main splash guard with hex socket bolts to allow easy removal (Photo 3).
    3. I wanted a sturdy splash guard and did not want to increase noise levels through lathe vibrations transmitted to the splash guard. The frame of the guard is therefore bolted to the wall (Photos 2 and 4) and is not in contact with the lathe or its drip tray. The bottom of the guard overhangs the drip tray, to catch drips of splashed fluids (Fig 1 and Photo 5).
    Rear Splash Guard for Myford Lathe-sp1.jpg Rear Splash Guard for Myford Lathe-sp2.jpg Rear Splash Guard for Myford Lathe-sp3.jpg Rear Splash Guard for Myford Lathe-sp4-fig-1.jpg Rear Splash Guard for Myford Lathe-sp4.jpgRear Splash Guard for Myford Lathe-sp5.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by natie123; Jul 5, 2018 at 07:01 AM.

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to natie123 For This Useful Post:

57_210 (Jan 2, 2023), astroscuba (Nov 3, 2023), bobs409 (Jul 8, 2018), Dada (Jan 10, 2024), fixit16 (Jan 27, 2024), garage nut (Jul 5, 2018), high-side (Mar 30, 2019), Home-PC (Feb 15, 2021), Little Rabbit (Feb 11, 2021), marksbug (Feb 12, 2021), Metallurg33 (Oct 28, 2018), michaelszreider (Oct 22, 2020), mr mikey (Jan 10, 2024), PJs (Jul 7, 2018), Ralphxyz (Jan 10, 2024), rossbotics (Jul 8, 2018), Saltfever (Jul 6, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 27, 2019), Seedtick (Jul 5, 2018), sossol (Jul 5, 2018), suther51 (Oct 26, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 26, 2018), Tule (Oct 27, 2018)

Thanks
    Very nice back splash.
    Nelson

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Very Well-done!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks natie123! We've added your Lathe Splash Guard to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: natie123's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    This is something I need to do for my mini lathe.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Nice Job, well done

Doug
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Myfords have a nice design, and the Continent is awash in them. I haven't seen one in person, but so popular I had to look into them. Lathes + Machine Tool Archive
    Lathes shed chips worse than my dogs fur, and he'd not appreciate a tray hanging from him...But your back splash has elements of a winner, including removable.

I found great displeasure in running a Chinese import a few months. I know a ton of readers have them, they do fill a need, and it wasn't bad in the accuracy department, but the ergonomics blow giant you-know-what.
    And the single worst features were such poor adaptations to run flood coolant. Of ALL those, biggest irritation; front of carriage virtually plumb over front of lower splash tray. We built food-handling machines, lots [90%] of stainless steel, so not much choice.
    First day, told them clock me out while I make a splash deflector or I quit with demand of full 8 hours wage. They did neither, just said remedy it, still took most of remaining hours.
    Now, focusing on the front: imagine an auto rear deck spoiler, with 3 obtuse "L's", angled to match lathe tray and my deflector. Hemmed upper edge inboard, bent that portion to be not quite vertical in mounted position. The "L's" held it with gravity, easily removed to clean chip tray.
    Many other issues got attention too, but finally did not have more coolant on floor or me than the parts.

But if anyone cares for a laundry list...you'd think for $17,000 would have decent operator considerations.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 29, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Great design, I have to build one and take down my Redneck blue tarp tacked to the wall.

Thanks
    my neibor worked for target, he gave me a big steel sine from the parking lot at the cart return. I took it and drew out what I wanted and took to my brother place of work ( AC refrigeration shop with big break& sheer)at the time and bent up a nice big chip pan&back splash all in one peace for the lathe to sit in (9x20 lathe) I welded it at the 4 corners where it bent up at 45 degrees, added a 1/2" piece of angle to the front edge for added support.works awesome.intergrating the back splash with the tray keep everything in there nice and neet.I added some feet to the lather tnad through bolted it all togeather with more feet under the tray.someday i will get some granite to mount it all on instead of the SYP 2x6's for feet.but they do just fine. for my mini lathe I moved the exzisting back splash back 2" then used a piece of house vinyl siding to extend it upward 10" work,s great..

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by marksbug; Feb 12, 2021 at 10:41 AM. Reason: addtion.

Thread Information