Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Red Devil leather cutter

Supporting Member frugalolegeezer's Avatar
    Thanks

frugalolegeezer's Tools

Red Devil leather cutter

I was looking at my Red Devil sheet vinyl cutting knife and had a brainstorm. I thought if I sharpened the other side of the cutter I could use it as a leather skiving and cutting knife. Took the tool over to the sander and set a bottle of water for cooling next to the sander and started sanding away the excess metal in order to get a cutting edge on the back side of the knife. Got it sharpened and boy what a cutting tool it is now. Handiest leather knife I have used yet. It woks slicker than a whistle. If you decide to make one yourself be sure and keep the blade cool, you do not want to draw out the temper of the metal and ruin a good knife and be careful, because it is sharp on both sides when you get it sharpened. Red Devil leather cutter-leather-more-018.jpgRed Devil leather cutter-leather-more-017.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by frugalolegeezer; Aug 31, 2017 at 09:11 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frugalolegeezer For This Useful Post:

JD62 (Sep 1, 2017), Moby Duck (Sep 1, 2017), Seedtick (Sep 1, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks frugalolegeezer! We've added your Skiving Knife to our Leathercraft category,
    as well as to your builder page: frugalolegeezer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Thanks for this. We seldom have the half-moon skiving knives donated, for us to send to Africa. With your permission, I would like to send this picture to the administrator at the charity, Tools for Self Reliance, since we get plenty of these vinyl knives and it is easy to adapt them as you have done.

Supporting Member frugalolegeezer's Avatar
    Thanks

frugalolegeezer's Tools
    By all means share this with as many folks as you want. Glad to be of help. I have been using this modified tool for leather work and I love it for its versatility.
    Last edited by frugalolegeezer; Sep 4, 2017 at 09:55 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Words always fascinate me, in that so many of them have multiple meanings. Although I did eventually find the definition in leather working, meaning to slice off, the first definition Google offered me was this:

skive1
    skīv/
    Britishinformal
    verb
    gerund or present participle: skiving

avoid work or a duty by staying away or leaving early; shirk.
    "I skived off school"

It took me a moment to relate that to leather working. Would it be safe to assume this would sort of mean "makes leather slicing easier" (avoiding work) in your application?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    demographics play a large part as well. however in this case to skive, trim, slice off,
    In the hydraulics field there is skive and non skive hose and fittings. which means sometimes you thin or remove the outer rubber / fabric layer before crimping the fitting to the hose.
    As a kid we called them a Hulk bill knife which we used to cut the heads off of maize stalks.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    We always called them linoleum knives. I had not seen another use for one before today.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information