Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Removing the diamond pattern from 5" vise jaws.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Removing the diamond pattern from 5" vise jaws.

Put the grinder to use today.(http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...9982#post71647) I had previously removed the hardened steel diamond pattern jaws and replaced them with aluminum soft jaws. Soft indeed. For most of my needs the steel works fine as long as that diamond pattern would disappear. So I made the diamond pattern disappear and now I have a nice flat hardened steel jaws. It only took about 30 minutes on each jaw and I was fine with that. This is an old import vise that has been in my shop for about 40 years. Still in fair shape! One more issue was that the vise would not close by about 1/4 inch. I guess I removed quite a bit of metal with my grinder. A little bit of 80 grit emery on that shaft and the vise now closes enough to remove that gap. Still saving the old aluminum ones for delicate work.

The magnetic block is new and this was it's first use. Seems to hold quite well but the surface is quite soft. Scratches very easily but that should not harm it's functionality.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing the diamond pattern from 5" vise jaws.-dscf0002.jpg   Removing the diamond pattern from 5" vise jaws.-dscf0005.jpg   Removing the diamond pattern from 5" vise jaws.-dscf0010.jpg   Removing the diamond pattern from 5" vise jaws.-dscf0011.jpg   Removing the diamond pattern from 5" vise jaws.-dscf0012.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 9, 2016), PJs (Sep 11, 2016)

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Nice idea, but I think I would have just made a second set of jaws so I would have had the option of using both.

Or, make a steel version of my magnetically attached secondary jaws. I have three sets of those already; aluminum, oak, and silicone rubber. All of them are smooth, not serrated. I use them all the time and they go on and off in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by jjr2001 View Post
    Put the grinder to use today.(http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...9982#post71647) I had previously removed the hardened steel diamond pattern jaws and replaced them with aluminum soft jaws. Soft indeed. For most of my needs the steel works fine as long as that diamond pattern would disappear. So I made the diamond pattern disappear and now I have a nice flat hardened steel jaws. It only took about 30 minutes on each jaw and I was fine with that. This is an old import vise that has been in my shop for about 40 years. Still in fair shape! One more issue was that the vise would not close by about 1/4 inch. I guess I removed quite a bit of metal with my grinder. A little bit of 80 grit emery on that shaft and the vise now closes enough to remove that gap. Still saving the old aluminum ones for delicate work.

The magnetic block is new and this was it's first use. Seems to hold quite well but the surface is quite soft. Scratches very easily but that should not harm it's functionality.

Cheers, JR

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Alciatore For This Useful Post:

garycullen (Sep 16, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 19, 2016)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks Paul,

Seems like you can always use another set of jaws....I have a nice chunk of brass that is just waiting to be converted to a new set of jaws. The magnet is a great idea and I think I will use magnets to hold the brass jaws to my steel jaws and for extra capacity the steel jaws may be removed and the brass with magnets used to replace the steel jaws. That will remove the holes from the front of the brass jaws for a continuous clamping surface. My older aluminum jaws may be retro fitted with magnets also or maybe just cut a new set of aluminum jaws there by eliminating the holes in the front surface of them.

Cheers, JR

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 11, 2016), PJs (Sep 11, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 19, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Pattern Removal Method to our Vises category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Magnets for jaws...recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by jjr2001 View Post
    Thanks Paul,
    Seems like you can always use another set of jaws...magnet is a great idea and use to hold the brass jaws to my steel jaws and for extra capacity the steel jaws may be removed and the brass with magnets used to replace the steel jaws. That will remove the holes from the front of the brass jaws for a continuous clamping surface. My older aluminum jaws may be retro fitted with magnets...
    Cheers, JR
    All good approaches.
    However, using ceramic's [usually 1/8" thick 1/2" diameter ala refrigerator decorations] or very smallest neo's make sure they are less than flush to surface. All are brittle; shattering under pressure. A bit of cyanoacrylate or anaerobic adhesives work well to retain in counterbore.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=cyno...=cyanoacrylate
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 19, 2016), PJs (Sep 21, 2016)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Good point. I have used them on model airplane hatches and canopies where we need max strength and they do wear the plating off after a few hundred flights. We use a magnet on both sides so I suppose a small slice of transparent tape would provide a little buffer without destroying the field intensity. A slight recess for the vise jaws is good info. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers, JR

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information