Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Repairing Nicked Extension Cords

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    I use "flexible" heat shrink tube. A week or so back I nicked a cable down to the bare wire, it was in the centre of the cable. I cut through and made staggered joins in the two lines (a no earth tool) with the heat shrink on each, then a second layer over the area where the outer sheath was missing and then a final covering extending 12mm or so over the outer sheath. I have several such repairs and never had a problem.
    Tony,

If the conductor's insulation is damaged, I do exactly the same thing. I solder the wires because there is less bulk than with crimp junctions.

On my last such repair, I only had clear shrink for the outside. Not all bad - I can now inspect the internal connections when more rough handling is done in this area.

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyg View Post
    Hi Frank,
    The 3M tape is very good, I often use it on underground cables at the splice kits to stop epoxy egress while it cures and moisture ingress once it is buried.
    Hi Tonyg,
    Here it is illegal to have any joins underground but it does happen. Many years ago I was doing earth works here & had cut power off by a "lecky" friend. The power was unearthed and he noticed a join & showed me while mentioning that one day in the future it would have shut the power off & it would have been a nightmare to find a couple of feet down and the line was about 20 metres long. What a lucky "break" that i decided to let more light into the dwelling by cutting back a hillside bank. he explained that even though it was in conduit, the conduit would have eventually leaked water and seepage would enter the join as water always finds its own level. Earth settling creates further pressure as well. As a grave digger I (we) would leave a large mound that eventually dropped & needed topping up forgetting if the coffin collapsed also.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Hi Ranald,
    We can only do it on underground armour shielded cable and then you can use a joint kit which is filled with a two part resin. However I have seen ones that fail.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Tonyg; Mar 17, 2019 at 03:25 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    I use "flexible" heat shrink tube. A week or so back I nicked a cable down to the bare wire, it was in the centre of the cable. I cut through and made staggered joins in the two lines (a no earth tool) with the heat shrink on each, then a second layer over the area where the outer sheath was missing and then a final covering extending 12mm or so over the outer sheath. I have several such repairs and never had a problem.
    tonyfoale's submit perfectly reinforces conversation between rgsparber an I. Saving quality but not serviceable items is a cultivated ideal; most evident with those and descendants of the 1920-1940's. Prior that era, it was everyday life.
    Skill is only part of it, supplies and tools don't happen overnight.
    Being tough to introduce younger generations, when we're gone, I'm afraid that's all she wrote.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Mar 17, 2019)

Thanks
    I wholeheartedly agree. Society (or parts of) has become extremely wasteful as it is now so easy to go and purchase an inferior product because it is relatively cheap instead of making perfectly serviceable products last.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonyg For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 17, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    tonyfoale's submit perfectly reinforces conversation between rgsparber an I. Saving quality but not serviceable items is a cultivated ideal; most evident with those and descendants of the 1920-1940's. Prior that era, it was everyday life.
    Being tough to introduce younger generations, when we're gone, I'm afraid that's all she wrote.
    Growing up in a country area of Australia in the 1950s tends toward self reliance.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 17, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    The self reliance aspect occurs to me, frequently. I certainly didn't have geographic restrictions, nor idea whether I practice self reliance. There were few distractions.

Recall desire to know how things worked above all. It seems natural once that levee opens, manipulating the works comes into play. Since I don't drive earthmovers or locomotives, metal working machinery does some of my talking...bigger the better.
    Course, a tinge of Napoleonic complex might be contributory, lol, but we all know folks whose occupation provide no pleasure.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    I use Liquid Tape Electrical. It is a rubber coating for use as electrical tape and insulation. This flexible coating exhibits excellent protection from acid, alkaline, and abrasion, as wells as sealing out moisture and salt permanently. It comes in a container with a built in brush in the lid. I believe it also comes in an aerosol, but I have not tried that.
    It is very flexible and bonds really well, feels like rubber to the touch.
    I am all for the heat shrink tube where possible. We are well into the realm of picky details here, but as I recall many cords have a layer of paper, or talcum powder between the inner insulation and the outermost jacket, probably to reduce friction. I don't think it advisable to intentionally glue the inner and outer insulation to each other. As inelegant as it may seem, the self adhesive silicone tape probably is more than adequate if the inner insulation is intact.

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    I use Liquid Tape Electrical. It is a rubber coating for use as electrical tape and insulation. This flexible coating exhibits excellent protection from acid, alkaline, and abrasion, as wells as sealing out moisture and salt permanently. It comes in a container with a built in brush in the lid. I believe it also comes in an aerosol, but I have not tried that.
    It is very flexible and bonds really well, feels like rubber to the touch.
    I bought and tried some Liquid Tape. I have to wait 24 hours for it to fully cure. Have to admit, it looks bad. Using a patch with matching color would be more likely to be approved by my wife...

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    I teach the "younger generation" at a local community college and can tell you some are lworthless, some show promise, and some walk on water. No different than any other generation. They just do things differently, like every generation.

Rick
    Rick

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Mar 18, 2019)

Thread Information