Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Repurposing a Torx Bit as a Broach.

Thanks
    Thanks for posting. This was a great idea and will be using.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Nice Work. Your broach could have made a little better cut if you had simply ground the bottom of your Torx bit flat. But if it works, I'm just being picky. Nice seat of the pants engineering.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanks for this one - nice out of the box thinking!

Regards,
    Ruaidhrí

Thanks

astroracer's Tools
    Thanks guys! I thought about grinding the bit before I did the try out but, it worked just fine as it was so I just skipped that step. If I was pressing this into something less malleable then brass or aluminum a convex grind would probably be beneficial. These materials didn't need it.
    Mark

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Manitoba Man's Tools

Broach

Good great work. I think Tony Foale posted this technique as well. Kudos to both of you for a good solution. Grest pics too Astro.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
    Thanks guys! I thought about grinding the bit before I did the try out but, it worked just fine as it was so I just skipped that step. If I was pressing this into something less malleable then brass or aluminum a convex grind would probably be beneficial. These materials didn't need it.
    Mark

Thanks
    You're pretty much cold forging the Torx shape into the brass. Good and hard. But seems like a challenge to remove the tool after doing so. Secret?
    Cupping the face converts it to actually cutting the shape. i.e. not as hard, easier to form the shape, and maybe easier to remove the tool after forming.

Good stuff

Thanks

astroracer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jimirwin View Post
    You're pretty much cold forging the Torx shape into the brass. Good and hard. But seems like a challenge to remove the tool after doing so. Secret?
    Cupping the face converts it to actually cutting the shape. i.e. not as hard, easier to form the shape, and maybe easier to remove the tool after forming.

Good stuff
    Had no problem at all removing the bit after forming. Wiggled it a bit with my fingers and it came right out. Really, this worked as easily as I documented it. I don't think it would have made any difference in the result if I had convex ground the tip prior to the forming. It's easy enough to do, try it and let us know what you think.
    Mark

Thanks
    I cut them flat, but a dish would make the ape's banana eazyer to peal. Ive been using torques bit for almost 30 years for stuff like this.especialy on engine blocks with square head pipeplugs(steel) that are stuck and round out the holes with the proper remover's.just get the right sizz torques bit a few wacks and out they come. being a performance engine machinest/builder, Ive done a lot of those. some people like applying a lot of heat Ive never been a fan of flame on cast iron.for some reason the amuminum engine blocks dont have this issue....go figure. ( usualy replace all pipe plugs with brass on all engines. ezpecialy aluminum engines...witch in many cases have aluminum plugs or the kits sold are aluminum plugs....not good, dont even think of it.it's way to eazy to gauld aluminum with aluminum. I supose if weight was a issue a titanium pipe plug would work.

Thanks
    I have to see this Astro van! I love Astro vans!

Thanks
    Awesome use of the old noodle!! You might have just created your own "niche" market.
    Great job and thanks for sharing.

Thread Information