Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Retractable motorcycle wheels - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,850 Times in 11,341 Posts

Retractable motorcycle wheels - GIF

Retractable motorcycle wheels. Not exactly sure what to think about this one.

Previously:

Hawker 850XP landing gear retraction GIF
    Rolls-Royce retracting anti-theft hood emblem - GIF
    Retractable grass covering for in-ground swimming pool - GIF and video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 2, 2019), jimfols (Feb 1, 2019), KustomsbyKent (Feb 2, 2019), Miloslav (May 24, 2019), PJs (Feb 2, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 1, 2019)

Thanks
    Allows those with leg problems to ride a regular motorcycle. Way more fun going around corners than with a three wheeler.
    I have seen some where the stabilizers tuck in tighter in the up position.
    Thanks.

2000 Tool Plans
    Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I tried riding a friend's Boss Hog magnum one time sure could have used something like those to help keep it upright with the huge 454 engine.
    Complete lunacy riding around on 2 wheels and a 500 hp engine on a bike nearing a 1000 lbs. Nut you know I had to try it since he offered.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Those Land Yachts can be a handful for those of smaller stature at stops also. CG is surprisingly higher than you might think to give them Glide at speed.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    If I'm remembering correctly, those retracting outrigger wheels are specifically for GoldWings. Since the majority of active GoldWing riders are of the more mature crowd, declining strength makes those a popular option.
    I have a variant from the same company that's non-retractable. Those were used on Touring Harley's, and possibly others. It functions with individual trailing arms on each side with hydraulic system to tie both sides together. There's also a fluid tank (mounts in trunk) and a control box that reads speed via wheel magnets and locks/unlocks the hydraulics as needed. When unlocked, the bike rides as normal. When locked, the arms hold the bike at whatever angle it is at time of lock, typically not leaning. There's some adjustability for the lock/unlock speed, and it can also be manipulated with amount of magnets in use. There's also an override switch.
    I don't have a picture or website on hand any more, as all my electronics were stolen.
    I acquired them as a gift from New Orleans Harley after my wreck left me with only my right leg. The left one is missing well above the knee. They fit on an FLT, which I don't have. NOHD expected that I would build something they would fit (as I always have), but I haven't built or repaired anything since my wreck. I started to have my buddy modify them to fit my rigid frames, but that project got stalled then my buddy died from an aneurysm. So...they sit on my shelf waiting on me, like everything else around my shop. If I remember when I have time, I'll find and share the information on them.
    I've since learned to ride two wheels again (though precarious), but I can no longer have my wife ride with me for lack of ability to stop the bike from falling over. I can balance with my prosthesis on, but I can't stop the knee from bending.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KickStart For This Useful Post:

blkadder (May 25, 2019), PJs (Feb 5, 2019)

Thread Information