Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Retracting faucet by Robert Brown

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by machiningfool View Post
    I don't splash water around the faucet hole. The vertical rod is a safety device, when it is in the faucet cannot be retracted, so to retract, I fold the faucet back and take out the rod and it releases a micro switch and then it can be retracted.
    Machiningfool If you haven't already done so, you might spring load the facet parking rod so that if the facet is not parked the micro switch will be in the same position as if the rod were removed. Parking the facet would require the rod to be pushed down activating the micro switch, preventing the accidental facet retraction even if someone forgot to remove the vertical rod.
    Beautiful design by the way

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member machiningfool's Avatar
    Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    I don't understand what you are trying to achieve. The reason for the rod in position, is so if the master switch is turned on, nothing happens and the faucet is not retracted. When I remove the rod, I then fold back the faucet out of the way and then the system is on and the faucet can be retracted.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I was just looking at it the way it seems that you have it now if as you say the rod is in place the facet can be retracted When you pull it out it cannot be retracted.
    However to me it looks like if the rod is in the hole the master switch can retract the facet even if the facet is not parked on the rod, maybe it is no that way but that is the way I interpreted it.
    The way I was thinking if the rod had a spring under it to cause it to rise away from the micro switch then anytime the facet head was not holding the rod down the system could not retract even if the rod were not removed.
    You have designed and made such an elegant looking system I was wondering if that was the way you made it because to me when something has to be removed to prevent the mechanical's from functioning but doesn't rely on the facet having to be physically located in the parked position and if someone forgot to remove the rod the system could still be activated with the facet in most any position.

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    I think that your first two sentences are backwards. Here how it is. The micro switch is a normally closed. I push the master and the faucet appears. I then insert the rod, the switch opens, rendering it out of operation. When I want to retract it, I pull the rod out, closing the switch and then folding the faucet out of the way of retraction. I then throw the master and it retracts, goes down. It is purely for safety so that if the faucet is not folded out of the way, damage would occur.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by machiningfool View Post
    I think that your first two sentences are backwards. Here how it is. The micro switch is a normally closed. I push the master and the faucet appears. I then insert the rod, the switch opens, rendering it out of operation. When I want to retract it, I pull the rod out, closing the switch and then folding the faucet out of the way of retraction. I then throw the master and it retracts, goes down. It is purely for safety so that if the faucet is not folded out of the way, damage would occur.
    OK now I am confused that is not how you describe it in the video nor how the video shows it. To me that looks like a normally open switch set up rod in switch closed rod out switch open. This was why I was thinking that if the micro switch had been located under the rod then it would require the rod to be held down in order for the system to function. To me that would be an even better safety feature as with a spring under the rod the only way to hold the micro switch closed would be to have the faucet parked on top of the rod

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    You are right. I built that so long ago, I had forgotten how the safety rod worked. When the rod is in and the spigot is parked, the micro is closed, and the faucet can go up and down. When I want to use the faucet, I take the rod out and unpark the spigot and the micro is open. Sorry, I haven't used it in years. Bob.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information