Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ring roller

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Ring roller

Hi All

This is a ring roller I finished a couple of weeks ago which seemed to take an age to finish. The reason for this it was one of those fullback jobs and as I wasn’t in a rush for it I only occasionally worked on it between other projects.

It has been initially built to roll some brass angle for my 3” Foden Steam Wagon cab side panels which at present is a long way off but it is now ready for when the time comes.

There are a couple of purchased items bearings, plastic knobs, circlip, bolts etc. The only purchased material was a length of 12mm diameter mild steel. The rest is all recycled material. The I-section material which the base is constructed from, governed the size of the build so was built from the base up.

The first test involved a 30-month-old little girl who wanted to help Daddy with his new toy. With a little help from me she was able to wind the captains wheel to roll the 10mm x 10mm square steel stock.

I was a little concerned how the ring roller would hold up as the frame is made from aluminium as is the central roller assembly. The ring roller did handle the 10mm stock with ease so would be happy to roll thicker and wider section materials in the future.

10mm x 10mm rolled by my 30-month-old daughter.
    Ring roller-img_1387.jpg

Completed ring roller
    Ring roller-img_1388.jpg

Adjustable roller
    Ring roller-img_1391.jpg

Different views of ring roller
    Ring roller-img_1389.jpg Ring roller-img_1390.jpg Ring roller-img_1392.jpg

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Apr 13, 2018 at 02:44 PM.

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

albertq (Dec 25, 2023), Big Rick (Apr 21, 2018), bobs409 (Mar 25, 2019), Captainleeward (Apr 15, 2018), Captn Roy (Aug 14, 2018), Frank S (Apr 13, 2018), high-side (Dec 6, 2018), HobieDave (Mar 27, 2020), Jon (Apr 13, 2018), Kevic (Aug 13, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Apr 15, 2018), mwmkravchenko (Apr 14, 2018), Neil Jensen (Apr 18, 2018), Okapi (Apr 15, 2018), Paul Jones (Apr 13, 2018), Philip Davies (Sep 5, 2020), PJs (Apr 15, 2018), Ralphxyz (Dec 28, 2023), rossbotics (Apr 15, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 21, 2018), Seedtick (Apr 15, 2018), Sleykin (Apr 15, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Apr 15, 2018), Tuomas (Apr 22, 2018), volodar (Dec 6, 2018), will52100 (Aug 13, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Excellent design and execution of assembly easily changed dies or ring diameter adjustment good job

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Apr 14, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Ring Roller to our Ring Rollers category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    That is 100% absolutely impressive! Nicest design for one I've seen. Good job!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Bell For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Apr 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Great job, looks good as well
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Hello, Home Engineer Well you've done it again what a piece of art work that is functional as well o yea, I like it, I like a lot....Cap

Congrats for winning the award, Well done...Cap.
    Last edited by Captainleeward; Apr 20, 2018 at 05:22 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I've already said how much I like it, but since it has captured dies and rollers using a 2 sided design instead of being cantilevered with the die rollers outboard of the framework to me from the pictures it appears that making a 1 piece full ring particularity smaller diameter rings would be difficult.
    But maybe that was the intent for the design to keep the machine simpler to build for the small scale rings needed for another project.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Apr 17, 2018)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainleeward View Post
    Hello, Home Engineer Well you've done it again what a piece of art work that is functional as well o yea, I like it, I like a lot....Cap
    Hi Captain
    I don’t know if you remember I finished the operating handle when you completed 300 posts to honour that achievement. You have been a bit quite recently hope all is well.
    Thank you again for your kind words
    The Home Engineer

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Frank
    You are right the design was initially made to support my model making in rolling brass angle which has a double “s” shape to cap the cab-sides. I also intend to make either a 3” or 4” scale Traction engine (one day) so this will roll the front and rear rims and tee section for both and the smoke box rings etc. This is why I decided to use the double sides for equalling the pressure on the rolls. It will obviously be used on any other job that may require this type of tool.
    There are four M6 cap heads at the top of the side frames which hold the plate that houses the M16 operating handle assembly. Once these are removed the top operating handle assembly can be removed to enable the completed ring to be freed from the tool.
    The minimum diameter that can be rolled into a complete ring is 300mm 1 foot. This can be made tighter if needed but the operating handle would need to be changed for a piece of M16 studding with a hex milled for a spanner. If a job comes up that is smaller than 300mm this is an option.
    I have also made some rollers that I intend to machine for doing thin walled tube but have not machined the radius in them as yet as the project they are needed for is a long way off but the blanks are ready.
    I thank you again for your kind words and the posts you contribute to are always very constructive and helpful.
    The Home Engineer

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Very impressive!! This will fuel a lot of thinking on my part as I eventually want to do a Ring roller.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Apr 17, 2018)

Thread Information