Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riv Nut Tool - Rises from the Scrap Bin

Thanks

garage nut's Tools

Riv Nut Tool - Rises from the Scrap Bin

Had to fit a few riv nuts to my kit car chassis. So dug out the old one...home made...very simple.

Riv Nut Tool - Rises from the Scrap Bin-old-tool.jpg

Then I remembered that I did not like this one very much as you were actually using the "nut's" threads to collapse the shoulder.

I had an idea in my head since the day I made the old one. So a quick dig in the Scarp Bin and this old timer was found.

Riv Nut Tool - Rises from the Scrap Bin-old-bolt.jpg Riv Nut Tool - Rises from the Scrap Bin-8point8.jpg

Nice soft M16.

The idea was to drill it out to accept a M6 cap screw to butt up against a shoulder at the bottom and then use the M16 nut to collapse the riv nut shoulder. the bits I wanted.

Riv Nut Tool - Rises from the Scrap Bin-i-want.jpg

I ended up making this modification after the first try with the new tool. A small recess for the riv nut's flange.

Riv Nut Tool - Rises from the Scrap Bin-improvement.jpg

The complete assembly before tightening the M16 Nut. The friction was more from the M16 nut to the angle iron base plate so I ended up turning the bolt part of the tool. I machined 2 flats on it to accept a 14mm spanner.

Riv Nut Tool - Rises from the Scrap Bin-assembly.jpg Riv Nut Tool - Rises from the Scrap Bin-assembly-2.jpg

And to show it works...Take note of the number of turns required for the desired end result. Turn toooooo much and the whole thing just collapses in a skew mess. This was after 2 full turns.

Riv Nut Tool - Rises from the Scrap Bin-end-result.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to garage nut For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 4, 2019), bruce.desertrat (Jan 3, 2019), Bummers (Feb 20, 2024), Frank S (Jan 3, 2019), Jon (Jan 3, 2019), Ken Koch (Jan 4, 2019), KustomsbyKent (Jan 4, 2019), Lee Bell (Jan 6, 2019), oldcaptainrusty (Jan 3, 2019), oldpastit (Jan 7, 2019), PJs (Jan 4, 2019), rgsparber (Jan 3, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 22, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 3, 2019), sossol (Jan 3, 2019), Steved53 (Jan 12, 2019), Tonyg (Mar 22, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jan 6, 2019), Tule (Jan 4, 2019), volodar (Jan 13, 2019), wolfpaak (Jul 27, 2023), yvonf (Jul 23, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    nice quickly made simple installation tool,
    I agree that turning a bolt in a riv-nut to collapse it is not the way to go. Far better to simply pull the riv -nut through itself like you did.
    I used to have a riv-nut plier tool that looked similar to a pop rivet tool and one that was an accordion style where you stretched it out threaded the riv-nut on, insert it in the hole then push down on the handle collapsing the accordion. Both worked great where there was sufficient room to operate them but were only good for up to a 1/4 20 or 6 mm for the larger riv-nuts I did much like you have done but usually just left the bolt head on which when ever possible I used a socket head capscrew because they were much stronger.

PS what I like most about your tool is it was not done in a video format nothing against videos per-say I just prefer explanations and pictures

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Frank S; Jan 3, 2019 at 10:12 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

McDesign's Tools
    Which kit car?
    Forrest in Atlanta

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    PS what I like most about your tool is it was not done in a video format nothing against videos per-say I just prefer explanations and pictures
    Am man after my own heart, Frank!

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Just to clarify... The M16 bolt is drilled through for the M6 bolt, and counterbored not quite all the way so that the M6's head rests on a shoulder near the bottom of the tool, yes?

I have one of the pop rivet style rivnut installers, but it doesn't fit into tight areas. I've pulled them with a nut & bolt that fit the rivnut, but keeping it square was a chore.

Neil

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    That is correct.

So first drilled it with a 6.5mm all the way through and then 11mm and leave a 5 to 8mm shoulder at the bottom for the cap screw to but up against.

Nice thing is you can modify the base plate to fit over a specific square tube and then use it as a drilling guide or if you have lots of riv nuts to fit at a set spacing,make it long enough to mark the next hole while fitting the first one.

Current Kit car is a Birkin S3, but I have built 3 of them already. Currently planning/building an Atom style car.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garage nut For This Useful Post:

mlochala (Jan 6, 2021), sossol (Jan 3, 2019)

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    I like how you made this riv-nut tool. I need to make a similar one for my home shop.

I have used the spin-spin pneumatic tools and also the spin-pull pneumatic tools at work where we put in a lot of these parts. Many hundreds of thousands per year. The spin-pull tools are much preferred as they spin the nut onto the tool, and then pull to actually set it, and then spin to release. This enhances tool mandrel life and the threads of the riv-nut are in better condition too.
    For reference, the product tools cost anywhere from $2000 to $10,000. But they can set a nutsert in about 10 secs, all day long.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The bolt use on rivnuts was how I did it waaaay back when. Still a perfect way if you don't need to do a lot of them. Great explanation, thanks.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks garage nut! We've added your Riv Nut Tool to our Fastening category,
    as well as to your builder page: garage nut's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations garage nut - your Riv Nut Tool is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Huge week around here yet again; this was a clever and fairly unique tool among many excellent ones.

Some more nice picks from this week:

Spindex Modifications and Attachment by rossbotics
    Metal Bender by jealpaul
    High Speed Drill by big o
    Drill Chuck Key by liberal
    Sheetmetal Brake by Shnick
    Toolmaker's V-Blocks by rossbotics
    Split Point Drill Bit Sharpening Method by bobneumann
    Key Duplicator by bobs409
    Spindle Bore Cleaner by Dimitris Polychronis
    Stamping Guide by drmico60
    Punch Base Light Ring by Canobi
    Rock Tumbler by Graham Pemberton
    Bandsaw Box by mklotz
    MT3 to MT2 Sleeve Modification by tonyfoale
    Counter Boring Leather Tool by thehomeengineer
    Press Brake by Tuomas
    Tilting Angle Table by jjr2001
    Router Base Plate and Lipper by RobTakami
    Z Axis Tool Height Setter by jjr2001
    Sandblasting Setup by Kovanca Polock

garage nut - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll now notice the wrench-on-pedestal award in the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Nice work!

Thread Information