Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Rock and Soil Separator - leave rocks/take soil away

Thanks
    Thanked 2,765 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Rock and Soil Separator - leave rocks/take soil away

A big problem here in the Southwest is our ground cover around houses. It is common to have down a 2 to 3 inch layer of 1" rock. Over time, this rock sinks down and/or is covered with fine clay. Given the large expanse plus weight of this rock cover, it is not practical to shovel it into a sifter, remove the soil, and spread the rock. People usually just buy a few tons of new rock and have it spread out. Wait 5 to 10 years and repeat.

I have experimented with a small heavy steel rake. It is possible to tease up the rock layer and leave the dry fine clay behind. A lot of work and very slow going. Yet this might be the genesis of an idea for a new machine.

If you think about the problem, the goal is to move the small amount of light soil, not disturb the rock.

I have tried using a leaf blower on dry soil. It is kind of slow but not as slow as using a common sifter and a shovel. However, the find clay goes airborne and makes a mess as it settles on rock around the work area. I thought about using two leaf blowers. One to blow the soil away from the rocks and the other to suck up the resulting dust. I recently was given a second leaf blower so will try this but it will certainly be an ungainly machine.

I am confident that a respectful and spirited discussion of this problem by creative people will turn up a few promising leads. So if you are out there, please speak up!

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 24, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,393 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    What about a low-power version of a power washer? Something with too little force to move a rock but enough water motion to liquefy and flood clay away?

I've always envied Arizona's rock "lawns". Nothing to fertilize, nothing to water, nothing to mow. During our recent drought here in SoCal, we had our front lawn redone. Had wood chips laid everywhere with a dozen or so lantanas irrigated by a dribbler system. Looks very nice and significantly reduced the water usage.

Of course, now the El Niņo has arrived and we've been having enough rain to cause flooding and landslides. Why, there's even water in the Los Angeles river! (Yes, in LA even the rivers are paved.)

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 30, 2017)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Marv,

The rock is mostly maintenance free but does require applications of weed killer during the rainy season and periodic attention as the dirt shows through. I do own about 600 square feet of grass and it is a PITA. I killed off 400 square feet of it and will convert to Xeriscape. When I have figured that out, I'll do the rest.

Your rain has been our rain, although not as much. Sure would love to see Lake Mead rise.

One thing I failed to mention is that the dry, powdery clay turns to glue when it is wet. However, if I used compressed air instead of water, that might do the trick :-). I would need to use the leaf blower in suction mode to gather the cloud.

Thanks!

Rick
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 6,393 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    One thing I failed to mention is that the dry, powdery clay turns to glue when it is wet. However, if I used compressed air instead of water, that might do the trick :-). I would need to use the leaf blower in suction mode to gather the cloud.
    Rick
    Blow the dirt off the rocks on a really windy day?

How about a shop vac fitted with a screen to prevent rocks being ingested?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    I had the same problem but I had to dig it up to put in a fence, so I made a cement mixer with sifting holes:

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/d...0221#post28977

8. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 30, 2017)

Thanks
    If you incorporate a vacuum, be sure to use a cyclone or two to keep the clay out of the filter and motor.

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Will do.

Thanks, Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

Thread Information