Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Broaching Tool

Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools

Rotary Broaching Tool

What inspired me to make this tool was I wanted to make a speed handle for my mill vise, I have never been fond of any milling machine vise handle, while the original handle is satisfactory I still like things to be a bit more user friendly, the original handle is to awkward when having to open the vise up more than an inch or so, they have a tendency to fall off and hit your big toe nail, while speed handles are readily available I still prefer to make my own tools, store bought tools today aren’t what they use to be, there is very little quality anymore,

Making a new handle for the vise is easy; it’s the hexagonal hole in the handle that becomes a can of worms, shops with a punch press would have no problem with this setup, but unfortunately there isn’t one of those beasts sitting in my shop, after watching numerous videos on You Tube and reading about rotary broaching I decided that this was the most practical way for me to tackle this 9/16” hexagonal hole.
    This is not a tool you will put in your arsenal that will be used on a regular basis but it will be a great tool to have when that moment arrives, instead of putting a screw driver slot or a hexagon on the head of a special bolt that you made now you can put a socket head for an allen wrench,

The concept of how the tool works is simple, instead of pushing straight down on all six points of the broach at one time like a punch press would do the broach’s axis is tilted 1°, as the broach rotates it only makes contact on one point of the hexagonal broach at a time, making it easy to push the broach thru a predrilled hole, I ran the lathes spindle at 600 RPM’s

There are only four parts to make, the arbor, bearing housing, spindle and broaching tool, the spindle rotates in a SKF-5204 double row angular contact bearing and end pressure is absorbed by a NICE-607 thrust bearing, the three main parts were machined from 4140 pre-hardened steel, the 3/8”-1/2” and 9/16” hexagon punches were made from O-1 tool steel hardened and ground, square punches and form tools can be made as well.

Below you will see some photos of the machining steps of the tool being made and a video broaching a 9/16” hexagon hole, along with 4 drawings at the bottom of this page for anyone wanting to make this tool.

As always thanks for looking
    And happy machining

Doug

Rotary Broaching Tool-9.jpg

All parts made for the Rotary Broaching Tool

Rotary Broaching Tool-1.jpg

Bearing housing bored for the angular contact bearing and thrust bearing

Rotary Broaching Tool-3.jpg

A 1° angle has been milled on the backside of the bearing housing along with the tongue and two 1/4"-20 holes

Rotary Broaching Tool-5.jpg

This is the arbor with two adjusting slots and a groove for the tongue on the bearing housing to mate

Rotary Broaching Tool-10.jpg

This photo shows the unit assembled and installed in a collet on the lathe, a 1/2" dowel pin is protruding 1" from the face of the bearing, this is where the it has to be running true, all punches were made the same length so indicating was only necessary one time, make the punches the same length no matter what size they are and indicating will only have to be done one time, it's just a matter of changing punches

Rotary Broaching Tool-11.jpg

This photo shows the unit held in a 5/8" collet on the lathe and being turned true after the indicating

Rotary Broaching Tool-7.jpg

This photo shows the hex punches being made

Rotary Broaching Tool-8.jpg

This photo shows the punches being ground after heat treating

Rotary Broaching Tool-12.jpg

This photo shows the hub for the mill vise handle being drilled and tapped for the three spokes

Rotary Broaching Tool-13.jpg

This photo shows all the parts made for the speed handle

Rotary Broaching Tool-14.jpg

Speed handle complete and install on the mill vise

Here is a video of the hex being cut using the rotary broaching tool

Below are the 4 drawings to make this tool, good luck, and post your completed tool !

Rotary Broaching Tool-arbor.jpg

Drawing of Arbor (above)

Rotary Broaching Tool-spindle-housing.jpg

Drawing of Spindle Housing (above)

Rotary Broaching Tool-spindle.jpg

Drawing of Spindle (above)

Rotary Broaching Tool-punch1.jpg

Drawing of Punch (above)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by rossbotics; Jul 11, 2017 at 01:55 AM.
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

bigtrev8xl (Mar 2, 2018), brianhw (Jul 11, 2017), Carlos B (Jul 10, 2017), emu roo (Sep 29, 2022), evilwrench01 (Mar 2, 2021), high-side (Oct 11, 2019), Home-PC (Sep 29, 2022), jjr2001 (Feb 28, 2018), Jon (Jul 10, 2017), LMMasterMariner (Jul 10, 2017), mr_modify1 (Oct 13, 2022), mudnducs (Jul 10, 2017), nova_robotics (Mar 9, 2021), Okapi (Jul 14, 2017), olderdan (Jul 10, 2017), PaulM (Nov 2, 2018), Seedtick (Jul 10, 2017), StephenL (Sep 3, 2017), thehomeengineer (Feb 4, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jul 12, 2017), Toolmqr (Jul 10, 2017), VegeKev (Feb 28, 2018), Woodgeezr (Jul 11, 2017)

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    Very nice job, well done Doug. Thats a very large, clean, well equipped,(I don't have enough words) professional looking shop you have there.

2000 Tool Plans
    From a popular rap: "If time is money then I need a loan."
    Carlos B,http://hobbyworkshopprojects.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Hi Doug, great job. I really like this Broaching tool. Will you publish the plans? The first photo
    seems to have a very good set of plans.
    Jim D

Thanks

rossbotics's Tools
    Hi Jim
    Thanks for the compliment, as soon as I go over the plans just to make sure there are no errors they will be available to download
    Doug

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    I would have liked to see the hex off the chuck maybe with an allen wrench.

But nice tool looking forward to seeing the plans.

Ralph

Thanks

rossbotics's Tools
    Thanks Ralph
    I didn't have a 9/16" allen wrench, but it goes on the hex of the vise shaft and that's where it's being shown it fits
    Doug

Thanks
    Very nice work and documentation. JR

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks rossbotics! We've added your Rotary Broaching Tool to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: rossbotics's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Doug,
    You built nice tools, both of them. Thanks for sharing.
    I also have the very same problem with original milling vise handle and I am using 19 mm (3/4") combination spanner for that purpose. It's 6" machine vise, little bit big for this mill, but this size is very useful sometimes. Even I have three 19mm spanners, I am always using the same spanner for drawbar. As I can see from your posts we have the same mill/drill (HF40939 mini knee mill) but the only difference is that my riser block is 5" high and I think your one is about 3 1/2 - 4" high. I am also thinking about making speed handle, but it will take me some more time as my idea is to do it on the lathe in the same way as cutting keyways.
    Best regards
    LMMasterMariner

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Do you have info on the bearings?

nevermind...reread.

Thread Information