Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Phase Converter (Create 3-phase power from a single phase source)

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    Rhengineer,
    You possibly could come down here and get rich,........provided you're prepared to import a shipping container full at a time, it's the freight that kills us. If I buy a Briggs and Stratton engine here, it'll cost me $100 per hp, I used to run a business mowing grass, and at the time a 20hp engine was $2000 plus gst (10%) when the US price for the same engine was $400 plus freight, but it still meant that I could land it here for around $1000.
    The answer to the question of do we have to import this stuff...yup! because the local cost is even greater.

Rob.
    Rob,

I'm not talking about being an importer. I'm saying I'll come down and be a manufacturer using local labor and materials. I'd make Australia more self-sufficient. I wouldn't import anything.

DSLee

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by nhengineer; Jan 23, 2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: More thoughts

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Rhengineer,
    Go for it, I for one would like to see Australia be self sufficient, but I'm quite certain that Canberra would find some reason why that could not happen, (or tax you out of existence).

Rob.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Rhengineer,
    Go for it, I for one would like to see Australia be self sufficient, but I'm quite certain that Canberra would find some reason why that could not happen, (or tax you out of existence).

Rob.
    Unfortunate. Unfortunate indeed. Why would they have that kind of attitude? Do they like depending on other countries for their manufactured goods? If they do, why? Is that why I never hear of GM Holden anymore?
    Last edited by nhengineer; Jan 23, 2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    What part of the world to you live in
    I live all my life in California but have sent Hangar doors all over the world

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nhengineer View Post
    Unfortunate. Unfortunate indeed. Why would they have that kind of attitude? Do they like depending on other countries for their manufactured goods? If they do, why? Is that why I never hear of GM Holden anymore?

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    What part of the world to you live in
    I live all my life in California but have sent Hangar doors all over the world

Dave
    Very impressive Mr. Smith but what has your accomplishments to do with this thread?

Thanks
    The question was what part world do you live

As this thread goes I have made for my self and other phase converters and have books on Kindle including one on single to three phase. Have also upload to other groups on single to three phase to help the group
    After MFG hangar doors that need power both 50 and 60Hz this very simple for me do. At time my life I had two shop location on with single phase need three phase and the other one having three phase.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nhengineer View Post
    Very impressive Mr. Smith but what has your accomplishments to do with this thread?
    Last edited by smithdoor; Jan 24, 2017 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Rhengineer,

Rob.
    Rob,

With further reference to your predicament, some over-educated PhD at MIT has suggested making a Buck/Boost transformer from various scraps and pieces he found lying in the street (exaggeration). Perhaps Jon can tell me how to attach the PDF here so we can all discuss it.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am 73 years old and have not yet met a PhD who, once outside his own narrow discipline, could distinguish his anus from a hole in the wall .....but I remain optimistic.

Regards,
    DSLee

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    David,
    As it happens I'm 74 years old and my findings with regard to academics is substantially similar, however I regard your optimism as overly enthusiastic.

Regards,
    Rob.

Thanks
    Just which David are you taking too???

Dave

David,
    As it happens I'm 74 years old and my findings with regard to academics is substantially similar, however I regard your optimism as overly enthusiastic.

Regards,
    Rob.

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools

David,

Regards,
    Rob.

Thread Information