Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Phase Converter (Create 3-phase power from a single phase source)

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools

Rotary Phase Converter (Create 3-phase power from a single phase source)

Rotary Phase Converter Plans for Sale - $12.50

$12.50 - Click here to buy now via PayPal and download instantly

30-day money-back guarantee.
    If you purchase these plans and are not 100% satisfied, we'll refund your purchase price.

These plans include:

• A 44-page PDF instruction manual including:
    • 15 technical drawings.
    • 4 photos.
    • 4 tables.

Feel free to post any questions you may have in this discussion, either before you purchase or during construction. Or, post pictures of your finished rotary phase converter.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nhengineer For This Useful Post:

jackman (Dec 22, 2017), Marc Broussard (Jan 12, 2017), Seedtick (Oct 7, 2017), Trojan Horse (Jan 29, 2018)

Thanks
    It would be very helpful to add information about the cost of materials to the description, and inclusion of a BOM would be great.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Leprechaun For This Useful Post:

Trojan Horse (Jan 29, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Good point Leprechaun; adding a BOM in the description has been mentioned before, I think we might make that the standard. Estimated cost is wise too; people can save a lot of money by building tools like this. We can add up the materials cost beforehand, and then compare them to the cost of purchasing a ready-built tool. People will be able to see an exact dollar amount that they can save by building this tool. For this Rotary Phase Converter, the savings from building from plans as opposed to buying are probably in the hundreds of dollars.

We've only had these plans for sale for a week, but many people have shown interest. Last week Paul Alciatore broke our first week sales record with his highly-detailed Quick Change Tool Post plans. Now nhengineer has gone and done the same thing with these Rotary Phase Converter plans.

It looks like a lot of people are going to be saving money on a rotary phase converter build, because in just one week, 20 copies of these plans have been sold.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Trojan Horse (Jan 29, 2018)

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    I thought of including prices when I was creating the booklet but decided not to. Prices change with time and economic situations. In order to keep my booklet accurate, I would need to update it monthly. In addition, all of my designs are junkyard and salvage yard friendly.

If one were to purchase a 7½ HP 3-phace motor new, it would cost more than $1,000. I got the one shown in the booklet for $10. It would be misleading to publish either price as the gold standard.

I got the pony motor for free when my FHA furnace crapped out and I had to get a replacement. The pony motor started its life as a hot air blower motor.

All the steel used in the design was surplus from other projects. My cost for the converter was in the neighborhood of $50 including fasteners and shop electricity & heat.

.... I'm just saying ....

The BOM is on page 9 by the way.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Hi folks,
    I'm in Australia and I downloaded David's converter plans, unaware that in the States you have what is called high single phase.
    Now my comprehension of that, from an Aussie point of view, is that you actually have two 120 volt phases and neutral return giving you 220 volts across the two phases.
    In Australia we have 220volt single phase BUT it's only one hot line and one neutral return and the neutral is bonded to earth.

I've been in discussion with David over this and he was not aware of this situation, when this was made clear, he agreed that his design would not work in areas with this configuration of grid supply, and suggested that I post this information on the forum as a "heads up" to others contemplating building this design.

It's a bit of a sod that this exists because I've got several three phase bits of equipment and only a single phase supply (we recently moved house).

Best of Luck to all,

Rob.

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Interesting Rob, thanks for posting that! We can add a note to the plans about compatibility with Australian electrical systems.

If the plans won't work in your country, you can always use our 30-day money back guarantee. Just send me an email to plans@homemadetools.net and I'll process the refund instantly.

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    All set, and this was our first "real" refund in the entire plans marketplace (the other one was for an accidental double-order!). Nice job all around guys.

Rob - the refund's processed, but the plans are yours to keep, please feel free to pass them along to someone outside of Australia who can use them.

We're up to 23 copies sold.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    in australia you have 55 cycles in the us we have 60 cycles it may not be that difficult to convert and still use the same plans.
    maybe Marv can give you some input

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    G Paul,
    The issue is not frequency, it's phases; your "high single phase" is actually two 120volt phases in series, we only have ONE phase at 220 volts.
    ie. On single phase in America you can split the high single phase into two separate 120volt phases giving you the ability to energize L1 and L2 in the three phase idler motor at 120volts each. WE CANNOT DO THAT, our grid is one hot line and one neutral return for 220volts, giving us the ability to only energize ONE phase.

Regards,

Rob.

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    With all the plans sold to date, I, for one, am anxious to get some feed-back.

Thread Information