Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salutations

Thanks

jere's Tools

Salutations

Ahoy

I just came across the site found it from a few other sites that recommended it . So I thought I would join and have a look around because I am usually broke and love making my own tools.

I have a few homemade tools, and add ons to premade tools and jigs nothing too special though.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Hi jere - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Got any pics of your homemade tools or jigs? If so, please feel free to post them

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

GBrackett's Tools
    to Homemade!
    George Brackett
    Bladesmith/Woodturner

http://tacticallysharp.com

Thanks

jere's Tools
    I took a quick walk around for a few simple/quick/cheap or free homemade things. Sorry the photos aren't great, fluorescent lighting doesn't like the cold weather lately. Hopefully I can stay motivated to share some more fun upcoming projects.

From left to right, lathe tool rest from a string stake, exacto knife carving handle (only made the handle the original was cracked when i got it), larger oak head hammer, lathe chisel for beading (like the next thing over and file handles, thrown in a later photo), small oak mallet, another oak hammer (for sheet metal dents), lead hammer on metal tube wrapped with vinyl tape and paracord ( I didn't make this hammer but hope to learn how to cast the lead), railroad spike hammer on a metal tube ( for stretching sheet metal)

String stake/lathe tool rest, the original cast one was small and snapped off.

Tablesaw finger joint jig/sled, it is all thread/ screw advanced. It and the half box/soldier station on it are a test run, made from scrap wood/pallets

Another angle of the same things

Large simple snow shovel/plow from a speed limit sign, angle aluminum and fence tube. The handle is wrapped in vinyl tape over paracord

Same thing other side, shovel clears 80% of the side walk in one pass generally. I just keep the shovel low and walk, no scooping/lifting required. The angle aluminum keep the snow from spilling over the back.

Simple camber gauge for car alignment

Simple toe "plates" for car alignment. There are some pieces of sandwiched greased sheet metal somewhere that go under the tires around too.

4x6 bandsaw mods, not sure if these are very interesting to anyone. Its cart is a filing cabinet, on a dolly from a food service rack, reenforced sides with some sheet metal screws and "V" strips from a pingpong table. On the floor is a table for when the saw is locked upright from scrap metal.

Laser blade guide, from scrap, a broken circular saw HF laser, rubber hose and odds n ends. The rod to the left with the purple foam ball is a simple junk made blade lowering control. This saw will be cutting up that junk plumbing pipe all over the floor I found tonight too

Not exactly a tool, but a tree stump table for sheet metal forming, and general purpose, with a rail road track "anvil" and a junky rotatory head vise. It is too heavy to lift to move around so it is on a dolly made from angle iron and dumpster castors

These were in the other photos also, this is if not obvious a pencil/nuts and bolts holder. Very simple and cheap, but pretty handy, HF magnet glued to a can.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,709 Times in 9,873 Posts
    Hello jere! Welcome to the forums. Wow. that's a lot of homemade tools!

Thanks
    Hi jere,

Welcome!

What are you working on at the moment?

That's quite a collection of homemade tools! I'll get them added to the site this afternoon. Going forward, please post new ones (I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stuff) directly in the Homemade Tools subforum. We'll add each one to the database, as well as to your builder page on the site.

Non-tool items should be shared in the Not a Tool, but Homemade subforum.

Ken

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
    Hi jere,

Welcome!

What are you working on at the moment?

That's quite a collection of homemade tools! I'll get them added to the site this afternoon. Going forward, please post new ones (I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stuff) directly in the Homemade Tools subforum. We'll add each one to the database, as well as to your builder page on the site.

Non-tool items should be shared in the Not a Tool, but Homemade subforum.

Ken
    My planned project is to make a belt sander from what's left of a couple broken treadmills. Where should things modified and repurposed into tools go? Does that still count as a home made tool?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    My planned project is to make a belt sander from what's left of a couple broken treadmills. Where should things modified and repurposed into tools go? Does that still count as a home made tool?
    Please post them in the Homemade Tools subforum; they absolutely count!

Ken

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

jere (Feb 10, 2015)

Thanks
    Hi jere,

Just a heads-up that this great collection of homemade tools will be added tomorrow. Watch this space…

Ken

Thanks
    Thanks jere! I've added your Lathe Tool Rest, Table Saw Finger Joint Sled, and Solder Station to, respectively, our Wood Lathes, Table Saws, Woodworking, and Soldering categories, as well as to your builder page: jere's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thread Information