Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scalpel Jones everyday carry titanium scalpel Kickstarter - video and photo

Thanks

MadTrapper's Tools
    Not to Diss this too much. I already have a folding scalpel from my days working at a Feed Store. Much cheaper and pretty short when folded. Plated steel butwhat the hell I can carry it!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Just another pointless youtube video.

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    To be fair: electric cars certainly have their use, especially as the technology advances, much as I enjoy poking fun at them. Especially in crowded urban areas, it's reasonable that we would seek to separate the polluting generation of power from the daily use of that power for transportation. If you're harvesting solar power from your roof or property, for use in powering your transportation, your position is much stronger.

But the gap between the physical reality of power generation and use, and the public's perception of such, is something that our society needs to communicate more honestly among its members. The "green" in green technology is too often the "green" in money, or the "green" in naivete, and it damages the reputations of the entities who are genuinely working to advance our technology in that area.

Nevertheless, the "Magnet Energy" Kickstarter is priceless. You can abstract the phrasing to see how the scammer was savvy enough to capitalize on the current state of the enviro-energy-zeitgeist. It almost reads like this:

Something something energy. Something something environment. With your help, we can change everything.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Sep 3, 2018)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    I agree there is all kinds of disinformation on all sides. It takes a lot of background to understand what is being proposed in fund me etc. There is a huge scam in the idea we still have to base our economy around petroleum. Especially when it's not really providing jobs and not being sold domestically. When old paradigms do nothing but keep things as they are that is where your "green" really is.

We don't live in a heavily populated area so I'm somewhat perplexed by your reference to use. I don't know how you drive but having the ability to go 50+mi on electricity means we fill the 8gal gas tank once every 2,400mi. And this doesn't mean it's a little funky looking can barely get down the road bathtub looking thing that only goes as fast as a golf cart. It drives just like a regular car, and when it switches to gas it's seamless.

The underlying reason for HMT, IMHO is self reliance and not be totally reliant on the real big brother, corporations who control what we can buy and seek monopoly while destroying competition. When it's possible the next step for us is get a home battery system(thanks to Tesla). That will cut out this crap of us selling our excess power to PG&E at a discount rate and then getting charged full pop when we draw off the grid.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    We don't live in a heavily populated area so I'm somewhat perplexed by your reference to use.
    The pro-electric car argument becomes stronger with increased localized population density. Even if electric vehicles were 10 times more polluting than petroleum-powered vehicles (they're not), it might still be reasonable to use them in densely populated areas, akin to how electric vehicles are used in large warehouses. It doesn't always make sense to release the pollution created by combustion in the exact same spot that this combustion's resultant power is utilized for locomotion.

Another example is charcoal grills. If you live in a rural area, and charcoal grills were outlawed (for reasons other than wildfire danger), it would seem unreasonable.

But let's say you live in a skyscraper in New York City, and charcoal grills were outlawed (this is more common in cities). Perfectly reasonable. You can't have 100 floors of occupants above your head, any of whom are allowed to operate charcoal grills whenever they want; there would be a constant danger of errant hot coals falling from overhead.

Electric cars might make more sense if they were sold as package deals; you buy the car plus the solar panels in one package.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information