Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Scrap bin stand for a Dore Westbury milling machine

Thanks

Canobi's Tools

Scrap bin stand for a Dore Westbury milling machine

Hi folks

Currently my mill is on a shelf with a chest underneath for added support. This arrangement was only temporary until I coild find something more suitable. As it happened, a combination of discarding from work provided all I needed to make a decent stand for it.

Just outside the goods in entrance was a 5kw motor and 1.5kw motor bolted to a very substantial U profile steel base which measured and cut to length using my angle grinder:

The rest of what was needed came from round the back of R&D in the form of a pair of pre essembled 40mm extruded T slot aluminium profile, I just cut a couple lengths to make it the correct width and used the fixture I found still attached:

After that I took some measurements, marked, drilled and tapped a set of holes to bolt it to the frame, making sure it sits high enough so the sloping sides don't interfere with the x axis movement or handwheel:

It was getting dark by the time I managed to get the last bolt in as I'd miscalculated hole distances but got there in the end:

I still need to cut a large hole in it for the main shaft so I can lower the head but at least I haven't got to cut through as much metal as there is on the sides...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    It's not the destination but the journey you take to get there that matters.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canobi For This Useful Post:

rlm98253 (Oct 28, 2017), Seedtick (Oct 28, 2017)

Thread Information