Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Scrapyard salvage of two British classics Help with tapers please!

Supporting Member Turboconqueringmegaeagle's Avatar
    Thanks

Turboconqueringmegaeagle's Tools

Scrapyard salvage of two British classics Help with tapers please!

Just recovered a Ward 2A Turret lathe and a Victoria UO Mill from the scrapyard, both without any tooling.
    I am having trouble finding reasonably priced arbours for the mill, it should take 40 INT tool holders and arbours, I would like to know what other tapers fit, is BT 40 and DT 40 the same as 40int?
    turret lathe does not index properly and the turret itself has excessive play rendering it pretty useless till this is rectified but i'm fairly sure i can do this without too much fuss despite the home made locking components.
    I am prepared to spend a bit of time collecting collets, waiting for them to turn up at the right money, but in the meantime i'll make a faceplate up on a 11/2" shaft and stick this in a collet.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboconqueringmegaeagle For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Oct 11, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboconqueringmegaeagle View Post
    Just recovered a Ward 2A Turret lathe and a Victoria UO Mill from the scrapyard, both without any tooling.
    I am having trouble finding reasonably priced arbours for the mill, it should take 40 INT tool holders and arbours, I would like to know what other tapers fit, is BT 40 and DT 40 the same as 40int?
    turret lathe does not index properly and the turret itself has excessive play rendering it pretty useless till this is rectified but i'm fairly sure i can do this without too much fuss despite the home made locking components.
    I am prepared to spend a bit of time collecting collets, waiting for them to turn up at the right money, but in the meantime i'll make a faceplate up on a 11/2" shaft and stick this in a collet.
    Ward 2A? Like this? Ward Turret Lathes 1960s Combination & Prelector 2A, 2DS, 3A 3DS, 7, 7DS, 8, 10, 10/13 & 16 The photo on page details a barfeed, which really makes a turret lathe produce. But is perfectly capable run as a chucker as well, faster than tool changing in tailstock, very common second operation work.
    Victoria UO Mill? Like this? Page Title

Arbors and collets have a proprietary nature to them. Figure on interchangeability of tapers a dead end. Even widely used forms are preferred by certain machine makers, they often filled special orders with non-standard (to them) spindles.
    BT40 exists stateside to a lesser degree then NM40; might out-number former by 100:1. INT and DT are not familiar; a little google will reveal drawings to compare primarily - taper, gauge line, threads for drawbar.
    Only BT's I've seen are CNC tooling. Sneaking suspicion NM and INT are alike; if INT signifies 'International'. Very possible, for a variety of reasons. Regarding our NM40, 'N' is national as in U.S.; maybe inappropriate elsewhere as a designation, but would copy the design. CAT40 is the CNC version of NM40, interchangeable after removing the pull stud, and very plentiful.
    Collets are easier, make a spindle nose for what you can find in a desirable size and price range. Even spindle bore insignificant, would only restrict lengths of stock with larger outscribed circles, such as square or hex stock. Simple math will reveal the limits.

Here is a good start on many taper specifications. We should be able to ID those with different regional names that are alike in reality.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Oct 12, 2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Dimensions for various tapers, etc.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Oct 12, 2017), Turboconqueringmegaeagle (Oct 12, 2017)

Thanks

That is a very helpful reply thank you, I have found some reasonably inexpensive CAT40 tooling. INT is also referred to as ISO but for whatever reason seems to be preferred as far as milling tools are concerned here in the UK
    I made a little video.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turboconqueringmegaeagle For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Nov 2, 2017), Seedtick (Oct 12, 2017), thehomeengineer (Mar 15, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Never run, or even seen a capstan lathe 1st hand. But from the looks of the lathes.co website the turret has a spanner on top. Maybe the play is normal and it just needs to be tightened down after each index?
    Nice score BTW! I have no immediate use for one but for scrap value I sure would find room for it!

Thanks

i will have to find an operator's handbook, i cant believe that a lathe that is capable of having fresh material fed in through its chuck while still running should require secondary operation after indexing the turret, you would need to take your time to do it accurately and then it would be no quicker than a morse taper in an engine lathe. Ive been playing around with packing in between the locking bolt and take up wedge and am reasonably confident I will be able to re-re-manufacture the items i am currently blaming for the play
    Scrapyard salvage of two British classics Help with tapers please!-no1.jpgturret does have a t-bar that clamps the dust cover and locks the turret up
    Scrapyard salvage of two British classics Help with tapers please!-no4.pngmaybe the intention is that the whole thing is aligned using some ground round and the hole through the turret shaft if extra precision is required
    Scrapyard salvage of two British classics Help with tapers please!-no5.pngbut for normal duties the locking bolt and adjustment wedge should centre it without too much slop
    Scrapyard salvage of two British classics Help with tapers please!-no6.png i dont know how well these pics show it, but both of these items are home made, with metric BZP allthread, neither the bolt or the wedge are flat or smooth so the indexing mechanism can not overcome the binding when the wedge is tight enough to take all the slack up.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turboconqueringmegaeagle For This Useful Post:

michaelmacnz (Nov 20, 2021), Seedtick (Oct 12, 2017)

Thread Information