Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Screw Modification Arbor With Zero Work required and very little cost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Screw Modification Arbor With Zero Work required and very little cost

These can be used on the lathe in either a 3 jaw or 4 jaw chuck. I like using them in the 4 jaw since I can set them up to run true.
    Rod connectors are available in just about any home store or hardware store and come in many different threads so many times you
    can use them right off the shelf. Since they are threaded the full length you can insert a set screw from the back side to act
    as a stop to get a predetermined length for the threaded rod or bolt you are working on.

I needed to make 6 brass knobs for a new project and wanted to use some flat head screws (1/4-20) for the threaded stud.
    Easy, just cutoff the head at the right length, loctite the stud to the threaded brass knurled knob and let it set up.
    Next day I cleaned them up in the lathe as shown.

One note, don't countersink the holes in the knobs. It will just require taking more material from the face of the knob to clean it up.

Project for these is still in the shop but should be done soon.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screw Modification Arbor With Zero Work required and very little cost-img_2388.jpg   Screw Modification Arbor With Zero Work required and very little cost-img_2387.jpg   Screw Modification Arbor With Zero Work required and very little cost-img_2386.jpg   Screw Modification Arbor With Zero Work required and very little cost-img_2385.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

high-side (Feb 24, 2019), Jon (Feb 18, 2019), Paul Jones (Feb 16, 2019), rossbotics (Feb 17, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 18, 2019), that_other_guy (Feb 20, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Jr I have 1 drawer in 1 of my tool boxes that must have close to 100 of those coupling nuts ranging from 10-32 through 1"-6. I use them for everything from arbors like you mentioned to quick machinist jacks.
    I could always just grab the size I need from my bolt bins but keeping them in the tool box means they are right at hand and I don't worry about using the last 1 from my stock

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Feb 18, 2019), Paul Jones (Feb 17, 2019), rossbotics (Feb 17, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Indeed Frank, I have only about two dozen so far but my stock is growing. They are really useful in the shop.
    Cheers, JR

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Screw Modification Arbor to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Feb 20, 2019)

Thread Information