Free 50 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Remove advertisements
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Sell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Sell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?

    I have two top load washers and a dryer.None are mates and all of them work (but need repair) and over 20 years old.Both washers need tub seals.No bid cost out lay but a big ole pain in the rear.The dryer needs to be cleaned out,new drum felt seals,a belt,and an over temp switch/sensor.Not really much cash out lay but it would be an almost break even deal,if I don't count labor,and sell the dryer.If I repaired all three,I'd probably have a cash outlay of $100 to $125 and I could possibly sell them for between $200 and $300.

    So here it is.

    Would you repair and sell,or salvage parts for building tools or modifying current tools?

    I have been wanting to set up a powder coat shop for my projects.I was thinking I could use the sheet metal cases to build a small oven.I could use the dryer fan to move air through the PC oven or evacuate dust from a sand blast cabinet.I may be able to use the washer pump in a homemade parts washer.I could find uses for the motors I'm sure.Vibrating polisher,tumbler,sonic cleaner?That would be a good reuse for the drums also.

  2. #2
    jere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 113 Times in 69 Posts

    jere's Tools
    If they were made in the 1990s I would scrap , sell the parts, or repurpose them. Build quality then terrible, like they were made to break and be unrepairable. So a few part would be replaceable then the transmission would grenade. If they are older keep them running and they willlast someone as long as they want to use them. Its worth the experience to repair them once even if its for little or no money in return... At least in my opinion.
    Last edited by jere; 02-08-2015 at 09:43 AM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    If they were made in the 1990s I would scrap , sell the parts, or repurpose them. Build quality then terrible, like they were made to break and be unrepairable. So a few part would be replaceable then the transmission would grenade. If they are older keep them running and they willlast someone as long as they want to use them. Its worth the experience to repair them once even if its for little or no money in return... At least in my opinion.
    They were made in the 80's I believe,but low end units,so disposable.I just can figure out what to do with them.I hate scraping stuff that could be returned to service.I am cleaning out an old mobile home I use for storage,and they will need to go.I may stip them and save the motors,pumps,drums,and cases.I thought about stacking the cases and making a powder coat oven.

  4. #4
    Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    France, Brittany !
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked 931 Times in 367 Posts

    Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Hi
    You can savage the main motors, wheel, belt, and the pumps. Don't forget the capacitors for the motor.
    In those years, the motors where inductive, brushless, but with only two speeds.
    Very easy to reuse, much more than the modern universal motors used with variable speed machines.

    To be noticed, if you plan to repair an old machine, there are lots of arduino projects here and there that aim to control the machine and replace the old mechanical command blocks.

    I have a project currently to control the speed of a modern washer motor using an arduino also.
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    ________________________________________________________________
    Visit my Website : http://www.labellenote.fr/
    Facebook : La Belle Note
    All my personal works, unless explicitly specified, are released under
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Mineau View Post
    Hi
    You can savage the main motors, wheel, belt, and the pumps. Don't forget the capacitors for the motor.
    In those years, the motors where inductive, brushless, but with only two speeds.
    Very easy to reuse, much more than the modern universal motors used with variable speed machines.

    To be noticed, if you plan to repair an old machine, there are lots of arduino projects here and there that aim to control the machine and replace the old mechanical command blocks.

    I have a project currently to control the speed of a modern washer motor using an arduino also.
    That's the stuff i was planning to save.I didn't think about arduino.I'm raspi man,if you know what I mean.

  6. #6
    Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post

    Barry's Tools
    I once used a wash machine agitator (shaft sticking up through a work bench) to agitate paint cans.
    I used a cloths dryer motor / vents as a down draft table for my chop saw.
    I used an old furnace fan for my 4'x4' down draft table (table saw, router / sanding).

    In short, salvage parts & recycle.

  7. #7
    Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    12,317
    Thanks
    2,224
    Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I once used a wash machine agitator (shaft sticking up through a work bench) to agitate paint cans.
    I used a cloths dryer motor / vents as a down draft table for my chop saw.
    I used an old furnace fan for my 4'x4' down draft table (table saw, router / sanding).

    In short, salvage parts & recycle.
    Pics please! I haven't heard the agitator trick before.

    Agreed on salvaging, especially with the abundance of $50 washers and dryers available on Craigslist.

  8. #8
    Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post

    Barry's Tools
    Hi Jon, just learning how to move around this site and don't know how to post a thread yet. Read them, reply to them but can't seem to see how to start a thread.

    I did this task this morning (now I need a nap).

    View Profile: Barry - Homemade Tools Forum

  9. #9
    Hammer1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Bourbon capital USA
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I would harvest the flat panels of steel and then sell off the motor and other parts

  10. #10
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    5,034
    Thanks
    2,275
    Thanked 496 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hi Jon, just learning how to move around this site and don't know how to post a thread yet. Read them, reply to them but can't seem to see how to start a thread.
    Hi,

    Just click the "Post New Thread" button on the left side above the list of existing threads.

    Ken


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •