Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    It's usually cheaper and easier to just get an electric stove from a remodel off Craigslist. I got mine for $25, a built in MagicChef and it's still working great 10yrs later. YMMV.

If you are thinking of doing powdercoat, I would use the panels from the sides of the washers to make a powdercoat booth. I made mine out of 3/4" conduit and aluminum panels from the hardware store. All my stuff is fairly small so the regular stove works great for me and my booth is 24x24x24. Stove is I think 30x30x30. The bigger the stove, the harder it is to get an even temp.

I use the same space for all my processes(welding,fabricating,machining, some woodworking) so it's necessary to contain the powder or it will go everywhere and get in all the other machinery. With the stuff from the dryer you could use the fan to make vacuum to pull the powder overspray out of the booth. I use my shop vac but the powder clogged the filter real quick. I found a DIY for making a cyclone out of standard ducting. Mine is 36" tall, 8" duct that tapers down to 4" and seals to a 5gal bucket and uses the shop vac for suction. Now ALL the overspray is captured in the cyclone and I never have to change my filter. I think I ended up with like $30-40 into it for the ducting. I also have little if any powder dust on the floor under the booth and none in the rest of the shop.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by C-Bag; Dec 14, 2015 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    I forgot to mention, here I see where people make the drums from washers and dryers into portable fire pits for like sitting outside or camping. Seen a lot of them on CL bolting a old table pedestal base to it. Makes a cool fire pit.

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,840 Times in 11,338 Posts
    Good call. I just went through the encyclopedia to find more ideas.

The motor is a given; tons of tools you can make from that. From the tub and housing:

Chip Guard or Drip Tray
    Honey Extractor
    Spray Booth
    Cement Mixer
    Incinerator

Also, from the heating element: Etching Tank.

You know what I'm wondering though? Chicken plucker. You could buy the plucking fingers separately from Amazon; $21 for 50: Amazon.com : 50 Chicken Plucker Fingers Poultry Feather Plucking Duck Goose Hen Whizbang : Patio, Lawn & Garden .

Just saw it on YouTube, from Thomas Peters:

Thanks
    The Chicken Washer has saved us time, it works very well, I do send a PDF file that contains pictures of the build along the way. Basically we made a 2X4 frame to hold the drum and attached a plate to a front wheel drive cars wheel bearing with a pulley attached to that. Looks like if I find the pics I can add them here. I might do that. The trick is you must use a 1725RPM motor and a rather large pulley to get the rpms down between 400 and 600. WE did try ducks too but the oil in the feathers makes it difficult to scald them. It worked best on chickens, turkeys, pheasents, and other upland game. I have processed at least 1000 birds in it now. 300 in one year. I really am pleased with the turnout. Thank you for watching. pzlr0v.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pzlr0v For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 19, 2016)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,840 Times in 11,338 Posts
    Nice to see you here, Pzlr0v - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Looking forward to the PDF details, this is a cool build.

Thanks
    Sell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-dscn1063-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-dscn1065-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-dscn1069-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-picture-006-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-picture-007-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-picture-008-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-plucker003-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-plucker007-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-plucker011-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-plucker012-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-plucker017-medium-.jpg

Thanks
    You can see the automotive wheel bearing was used to spin the plate and we connected a pulley to the other end for the belt. Hope this help, if anyone is trying to build one. Thank you, Tom

Thanks
    Sell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-dscn1063-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-dscn1067-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-dscn1070-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-plucker009-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-plucker017-medium-.jpgSell/salvage washers/dryer?What would you do?-plucker019-medium-.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pzlr0v For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 22, 2016)

Thread Information