Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Semi-trailer collapses spontaneously during turn - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (May 16, 2019), EnginePaul (May 15, 2019), high-side (May 16, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (May 15, 2019), Seedtick (May 15, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The only thing that gives some of those box trailers their structural integrity is having the rear doors securely closed the refrigerated vans rely on the insulation to be the structural members of the trailers in an effort to get as much cargo weight in them as possible. Usually though when meat rails are installed some structure is added to compensate for having all of the load swinging. This one looks like it just had the rails and no vertical framework

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeVanGeaux View Post
    "All things being equal" (lol), this video just gave me, yet another, reason to avoid riding alongside any tractor trailer. But now, I'm going to spend the rest of my driving days on special lookout for that brand of trailer!
    more info

Hog Hauler.
    Some people will do anything to make a load. When it mean hauling a load of something or running empty can make all the difference. As far as the swinging pork the trailer would have been just fine as long as the back doors were closed. The load will swing side to side but load is tight together front to back to prevent a lot of swing. It takes a driver that knows how to haul a swinging load. It is not done these days because they cut a lot up at the slaughterhouse. I would not want to be the driver.
    Last edited by ncollar; May 15, 2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: more info

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (May 15, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (May 15, 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Utility brand dry box trailers are noted for being one of the lightest constructed box trailer on the road. Without seeing an accident report I can tell you that the load inside had at least 1 heavy pallet stacked on top of another and if it had been secured at all often box drivers do not even look inside of their trailers when they are ;loaded, the load locks when used only extend from side to side and there sometimes are no vertical E tracks for strapping to.
    The impact of a 2500 lb pallet falling from 3 feet high un a turn could have been enough to cause the trailer to collapse especially if the trailer was loaded heavy in the first place.
    Remember these trailers have no frame only a short sub frame where the axles are All of the structural strength in them is from the thin siding and the even thinner roof the only other structure in these trailers is the extruded runner that joins the roof and the side walls
    Frank
    I agree with all you say and all we can do is speculate. It looked like the truck was making a smooth turn at low speed. I see no reason except like you said it was too heavy loaded in the center of the trailer or the trailer has had a hard life and minimal maintenance. Once a crack starts in the aluminium it will not take a lot to break like that. I remember on tile hauling a load of welding rods out of Ohio and the pallets were only about 3 ft. high. If they were placed in there wrongly it could have done the same thing but it was a refer so extra strong built.

Thanks
    That truck is a side load unload.
    The sides are there to keep everything weatherproof.

There was a lot of things that could have gone wrong there real quick. If you look at the tanks dumped on the roadway look to be propane cylinders. I would not have wanted to be the tow truck company, that was a very shotty job.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by ncollar; May 15, 2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Add Info

Thread Information