Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: An Sheet Metal flange Bender

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Eagle_view's Tools

An Sheet Metal flange Bender

An Sheet Metal flange Bender-002.jpg

An Sheet Metal flange Bender-005.jpg

An Sheet Metal flange Bender-007.jpg

I needed a way to bend a right angle on a several pieces of 22 gauge steel for a new fuel tank on a tractor. I tried a couple tools or methods to achieve bending the edge to stiffen the steel and to allow me to TIG weld the tank together. I found a similar tool that I like the looks of (thank you YouTube) that was made in Austria but it was very expensive so I made one my self.

To make it I ordered 0.875 dia bearings with a 0.375 center hole that stand 0.229 high through eBay. I got a tube of 10 bearings for about twenty bucks and then picked suitable steel scraps for the scrap box to make the rest of the tool. The side plates are 0.25 thick and 2" x 3", the two guide bars for the bearing shafts are 1"x0.75" by 2.9" long. The bearing shafts are 0.500" and casehardened with chrome plating from an old printer. All the screws are 10-32 domed head screws.

It is a simple construction that can be made with a manual mill and lathe. I turned the bearing shafts down to 0.377 and lightly press the bearings on with 601 Loctite. The guide bearing bar (three bearings) I have a retaining screw and washer on the bottom also. I set the bearings apart by 0.299" which is the thickest plate steel that I plan on using. It seems to work fine with thinner steel as well.

The tool works by setting the depth of you flange and then rolling the single bearing back and forth along the edge while pulling upward on the tool. It is quick easy and stores nicely for something that I will not use very often.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Eagle_view; Jan 25, 2015 at 01:37 PM. Reason: correct some wording

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Eagle_view For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Sep 10, 2016), bobs409 (Feb 28, 2017), Jon (Dec 2, 2020), kbalch (Jan 26, 2015), KustomsbyKent (Oct 18, 2017), Paul Jones (Jan 30, 2015), rlm98253 (Mar 26, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 8, 2018), sossol (Jul 30, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,999 Times in 9,639 Posts
    Hi Eagle_view! Welcome to the forums!

Interesting design. Very neat bends.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanks Eagle_view! I've added your Sheetmetal Flange Bender to our Metalworking category, as well as to your builder page: Eagle_view's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Wow, that's a great introductory post, Eagle_view!

Thanks
    Hi Eagle_view,

Now, that's a useful homemade tool! Your Sheetmetal Flange Bender is the 'Tool of the Week'!

You'll be receiving one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts:

An Sheet Metal flange Bender-hmt-t-shirts.jpg

Let me know (via PM) your size, color choice, and mailing address. We'll get the shirt in the mail to you directly.

Congrats!

Ken

Thanks
    This thread has been moved to the Must Read subforum. Congrats (and thanks) to Eagle_view for making such a valuable contribution!

Thanks
    This is fantastic, I made a bigger one based on swage rollers, but I will try your design now, thanks

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    John Daley
    Bendigo, Australia

Thread Information