Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Shipping container homes

Thanks

Shipping container homes

I just want to discuss container homes. Recently I got to know something about this from a site named Secure Container Solutions ( www.securecontainer.ca ). Shipping containers are normally used to store our belongings and to shift them from one place to another. But how about living in such a home? Does anyone of you live in a container home? Then please share your experience about it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by johntang View Post
    I just want to discuss container homes. Recently I got to know something about this from a site named Secure Container Solutions ( www.securecontainer.ca ). Shipping containers are normally used to store our belongings and to shift them from one place to another. But how about living in such a home? Does anyone of you live in a container home? Then please share your experience about it.
    I've long contemplated a container for home and shop. Probably one of the best resources is one that I found on the sister site CabinBuilds. It was tough to find as the search function here takes some getting used to, but here it is:

How to Build | Tin Can Cabin

He does a wonderful job IMHO laying out a how to, but also the hidden drawbacks. Like the fact they use very powerful fumigants and its absorbed into the wood flooring. I also found elsewhere that while they are incredibly strong in the vertical they can't take a sideload like what would be experienced in burying one. But I don't know if this is true as I know of a person who buried one under her horse corral and used it as a hydroponic pot farm. So like with all things on the net you can get some incredible info and some disinformation of epic proportion.

I like the idea of an immediate secure structure, but it's almost exactly like living in a travel trailer, which I did while going to college. i live where I love and want to be outside everyday so a "tiny house" is very attractive to me. But if I had to be in it for extended periods.....well, that would not be good. So there are a lot of factors and the link I posted looks at those things. It should be noted he didn't know how to weld or do the metal work so he was not as self contained as say I would having welding equip and plasma.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I searched on Google "Shipping Container Homes", and found lots of pictures and links to more information than can be digested in a short session.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information