Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: shop table extentions

Thanks

hardtail69's Tools

shop table extentions

Ok this is a weird one I use those rolling carts like you see in kitchens for my shops tables. The shelves can take 600lbs each and they are very inexpensive. They have for me passed the test of time in my metal working shop. I simply cut some 1/4 inch sheet to the size of the tops and lay it down in there then tack weld them in a few spots and viola instant portable strong shop table.

shop table extentions-p1040087.jpg

You can buy one tall one and cut it in half . you get to have three selves on each and in any configuration you like,and here is the best part I made an adjustable extension so my cutting saw is at the same level as the table,so when I have twenty foot stock delivered I can cut it my self, (no extra cutting charge) those five dollar cutting charges add up fast. In my small shop it is all about footprint if I can get a tool in here that does not take up more precious square footage that's what I want. The real trick with these shelves is that the poles that come with these shelves can be sleeved with 1-1/4 x.095 wall DOM tubing and then those fit inside 1.5 inch .125 wall square tubing and you can see what I have done with that. The sleeves over the poles is what makes them so easily adjustable up and down. I now have two tables with the extensions placed so that they are both in the middle so I have support on both sides of the stock with either saw if I need it. I lined them both up so I can use either one without interference.shop table extentions-p1040085.jpg
    Here are more pictures.

shop table extentions-p1040086.jpgshop table extentions-p1040088.jpgshop table extentions-p1040092.jpgshop table extentions-p1040093.jpg

The dimensions are easily obtainable when you get your shelves. I don't give the dimensions for obvious reasons. My shelves are 18" by four foot, but these shelves come in a myriad of sizes. The poles are mostly all the same though. Mine are 1 inch so for that size the tubes/sleeves are 1-1/4 x.095 wall DOM and the square tube is1-1/2 x .125 wall. The weld on the inside of the square tube will give you an interference/press fit but just wack it with a small sledge and it will slip right on. Leave a bit of tube above the square so you can cut/grind off any that gets banged up with the hammer.
    I hope this helps somebody to make their shop a bit more efficient as it has mine. oh and the adjustable bit is simply a piece of square tube with a nut welded in it and a bolt to make is longer or shorter. It goes between the lower cross member of the extension and the next shelve. Use a piece of flat bar laid out across the shelf as shown, or use some angle iron as I did. Remember cold coffee is a sign of $@*! getting done
    shop table extentions-p1040083.jpgshop table extentions-p1040084.jpg
    one more thing you will notice that the coolant pan that the band saw is sitting in is tilted a bit. I used two bolts on the outside corners of the extension with the nuts welded inside the square tube so that I could adjust the angle of both the band saw and the coolant pan as well, and keep the whole thing flat and level with the table.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardtail69 For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Jul 9, 2016), Jon (Jul 14, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks hardtail69! We've added your Shop Table Extensions to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: hardtail69's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    That is such a great idea! Especially the DOM strengthening and adjuster addons. Thanks for posting this. I always seem to be needing flexibility and adjustability and those are time consuming to do in a scratch build. This the perfect solution.

I've got a couple of those out in the shop for storage but never thought of them as work benches. I can't afford as much area, but have been casting about for something for the new sharpening grinder and have one of those smaller shelves out in the shed. Two birds, one adjustable portable stone.

Thanks

hardtail69's Tools

you are welcome

it works for me and it will work for you too

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail69 View Post
    it works for me and it will work for you too
    I see your tables you are referring to in your pic's, my question, were can you buy them?

Thanks

hardtail69's Tools
    Sam's club, Walmart, amazon, you name it. They are ubiquitous. Nearly every store of any size has them, or ones just like them.. home depot and lowes as well.

Thanks

hardtail69's Tools
    Sam's club Walmart amazon you name it they are ubiquitous. nearly every sroe of any size has them or ones just like them. home depot and lowes as well.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Black...oLP615Ene_e0og cut this baby in half and you will get two tables one with three shelves one with two . throw some decent casters on it and viola instant shop tables. then just follow the pictures i give and you have really decent shop tables. Portable and strong yet lightweight as well.you can cut them down with a simple tubing cutter like a plumber uses to cut copper tubing. just go slow and use a bit of lube. nice clean cut. you can get the caster with the shelves sometime for just a bit more money but i prefer stronger ones.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by hardtail69; Jul 14, 2016 at 09:26 PM.

Thread Information