Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Shopsmith 'Pedestal' base

Supporting Member EclecticNeophyte's Avatar
    Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools

Shopsmith 'Pedestal' base

Shopsmith 'Pedestal' base-20141102_140345.jpgShopsmith 'Pedestal' base-20141102_140446.jpg

About a year or so ago, I purchased an old Shopsmith 10ER, from a guy that had inherited it from his father; but no longer had interest in using it. In keeping with my need for tools that would fit limited space, but with maximal use, I decided to buy it (that and anytime my wife makes me aware of a power tool for sale, I jump on it!). Soon after my new toy was safely home, I realized that it still took up too much room; so with some investigation and research, realized that I could minimize it's foot print even more. Thus the Shopsmith 'Pedestal'. It was inspired by a fellow owner, that posted a video of one on YouTube.

The construction isn't fancy, but as stout as I could make it; as it would need to carry the weight of the 10ER and not wrack or distort when placed in either the vertical or horizontal configurations.

Shopsmith 'Pedestal' base-20141102_132828.jpgShopsmith 'Pedestal' base-20141102_134344.jpg

Here's a couple of additional shots of the 10ER in Horizontal configuration. The photo on the right was taken before the front of the pedestal was fully enclosed.

One of the concerns, was if the 'outboard' support for the 10ER would be stable enough to work well. After over a year of working with this machine in both vertical and horizontal 'modes', it has worked very well. I've had no issues with stability! The best part is, that in the vertical position, the machine only takes up four square feet of floor space! Much better than the the original horizontal bench or legs, that required at least 6 or 8 feet of length and 2 feet in width. Since floor space in my garage 'shop' is already at a premium, this mod was a must!

-EN

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by EclecticNeophyte; Aug 1, 2015 at 04:19 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EclecticNeophyte For This Useful Post:

jere (Aug 2, 2015), kbalch (Aug 3, 2015), Paul Jones (Aug 2, 2015), PJs (Aug 3, 2015)

Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools
    Here's a couple of links to the inspiration for my project:

Enjoy,
    -EN

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Great idea, and application!

Can you use it as a drill press/overhead router/shaper in that vertical position?

Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    Great idea, and application!

Can you use it as a drill press/overhead router/shaper in that vertical position?
    Thanks Jere. As long as you use the locking bolt in the base (to keep it upright) I don't see why not. I don't use the router or shaper accessories, but regularly use the 10ER as a [vertical] drill press...

-EN

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EclecticNeophyte For This Useful Post:

jere (Aug 3, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    EN,
    I had to Google the Shopsmith 10ER and see it is a very versatile power tool. Great find. Your Shopsmith 'Pedestal' makes the tool a great addition to the home shop and so compact for storing out of the way. Thank you for the ideas and photos.
    Paul

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 3, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks EclecticNeophyte! I've added your Shopsmith Pedestal Base to our Dollies and Stands category, as well as to your builder page: EclecticNeophyte's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools
    Thanks Paul!

Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools
    Thanks Ken and Thanks for maintaining such an awesome site!

Thanks
    You're very welcome - and thanks for the kind words about the site!

Ken

Thanks
    This is awesome I often look at this site for ideas since I've limited space.
    I have wanted a shopsmith for many years never could afford one until recently i ran across a Craigslist add for one and the same as you the man had inherited it but didn't know how to use it. He had been offered good money for it but being a 1951 10E
    The answer to the question "what are your plans for it" were "restore it and probably sell it" no sale... I had enquired about a lathe aswell o figured I couldn't afford the shopsmith but asked anyways he asked "what are you going to do with the shopsmith" I said I probably can't afford it but if I could I would bring it home restore it and use it daily and the man told me I'll drop $25 of the price of the lathe if you come buy it I'll give you the shopsmith and I almost fainted so I took a trip that weekend in the rain 100 miles away to get my shopsmith and I've literally been stepping over it since but it doesn't matter but this pedestal will help tremendously thank you and sorry for my long story just wanted to share

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wade Woodward For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 4, 2015)

Thread Information