Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: showing build details

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Ah, yes, "teach them how to learn". A noble goal, but so few teachers seem to understand its importance and even fewer know how to do it.
    I'm sure you've encountered the forum submission that jumps right into "here's how I built an xxx" without ever mentioning what an xxx is or why the reader would want one. Even something as simple as a carving mallet needs a bit of prelude - why does it have the form of a truncated cone? Of course, one must judge the presentation venue. An introduction suitable for a generalized forum may be extreme overkill for a professional woodcarvers' forum.
    So, I'm sitting here in 'self-examination' phase, there are subjects I feel confidence in and less in others. It's the 'others' driving us come here to get details. So, I don't mind research, probably more effective when I direct that education posed by clues provided. Drilling and tapping is a good example, certainly that is a task only some can do in their sleep. Now and then a revelation or reminder comes along to AID task A or B; interesting. The list of search methods floating in right now are a good example. The text need to be pretty specific to operate, mere hints will not. If this was a site for programmers and PC builders that would not be the case.
    So my suggestion to the average poster is to learn/ utilize terminology related to the project; prompting readers to ramp up comprehension. There is no way a post could carry every detail or assay confidence remotely and decide "oh I can leave this out".
    In parallel though, a description of what the project is for, plainly is a different issue. Things I appeared here that I couldn't deduct "what on earth?" because it's apparently beyond my scope of interests; insufficient description to run with, or related skills. I recall one that I mislead myself as 'metronome'; when it was a 'micronome'. The huge LOL came at the instant of WTH form of googling the term; and realization outside interests are still benefit personally, and us collectively.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 2, 2016)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    PJs - agreed on Ghostery. I use a "soft security" approach. I allow a bunch of cookies, but I also clear out my browser's stored files numerous times per day (usually any time I walk away from my computer).

OK, here's a sample Woodworking Forum search. It's a Google-based search, BUT it limits searches to 38 hand-picked woodworking forums:

Custom Woodworking Forum Search Engine

We can integrate this feature into the site more cleanly, with our custom look/feel but this prototype shows the important part: the search results. We can also do the same thing for different forum groupings: machining, boat building, hot rods, etc.

2000 Tool Plans

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    PJs - agreed on Ghostery. I use a "soft security" approach. I allow a bunch of cookies, but I also clear out my browser's stored files numerous times per day (usually any time I walk away from my computer).

OK, here's a sample Woodworking Forum search. It's a Google-based search, BUT it limits searches to 38 hand-picked woodworking forums:

Custom Woodworking Forum Search Engine

We can integrate this feature into the site more cleanly, with our custom look/feel but this prototype shows the important part: the search results. We can also do the same thing for different forum groupings: machining, boat building, hot rods, etc.

Thanks Jon, Besides pausing ghostery to get to it, I found some interesting stuff on my latest find, a 1952 King Seeley-Craftsman 12" bandsaw. I did a search with that name and the model number 103.24280 and got some great hits on the forums. I was particularly happy to find that there was a "Low Speed Option" for cutting metal but no details...yet. I also noticed that there were about 3 adds at the top of before the actual forums started to show. Unfortunately I know it pays someones bills, just not mine.

I don't honestly want to clear my caches that often but for someone like yourself I get it. I'll leave my ghostery as it is and pause it when I feel ok with it, like with your custom searches with only three relatively mild intrusions~~>and continue with my weekly deep cleaning.

I would definitely use this type of custom searches and would think others would too. Still like the idea of drop downs for mods to the searches like we talked about above if it's within reason for your workload. Looking forward to hear what others think and what you come up with!

As Always, great work Jon! ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Great, thanks, interested to see what others say.

Not much we can do about the default ads with the Google search engines, but you can eliminate them for free with AdBlock.

Agreed on using dropdowns. If people like this search engine, I can get to work making essentially a multi-DIY forum search engine, with dropdown options like "Woodworking", "Machining", etc.

Thanks
    If I may include my two cents and thats probably all it’s worth. I just recently joined this forum and I totally get where tjroberts43 is coming from. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, some DIY ers need plans to be more precise and others dont, I for one only need a decent photo or a set of photos
    to reproduce what Im looking at or come up with my own design. However Im not the type of person to sit and produce a set of plans, but I would if asked would gladly stretch a tape for a photo (s) to help someone else with their build. Times have changed and too many people think they should be compensated for their work instead of sharing with those that may not be as talented as the next. Years ago people would share freely with others but like I said times are changing but this forum could be different. Would it be too difficult for this forum to be different

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
    If I may include my two cents and thats probably all it’s worth. I just recently joined this forum and I totally get where tjroberts43 is coming from. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, some DIY ers need plans to be more precise and others dont, I for one only need a decent photo or a set of photos
    to reproduce what Im looking at or come up with my own design. However Im not the type of person to sit and produce a set of plans, but I would if asked would gladly stretch a tape for a photo (s) to help someone else with their build. Times have changed and too many people think they should be compensated for their work instead of sharing with those that may not be as talented as the next. Years ago people would share freely with others but like I said times are changing but this forum could be different. Would it be too difficult for this forum to be different
    Full circle after ~2 years. Warthog, Yes, times are different now and there are many that do post details and even drawings on this site...for free. I do think this forum is different, mainly because most here care about posting whether a build or questions or discussions leading from the original posting to something new or otherwise. You like many of us don't need plans but register the idea for how we want to proceed with our needs. Yes, others need hand holding/training or Practice and Patience and when questions are asked they usually get answered from my viewpoint.

The other boding question here is should it be free and who's willing to do that...for free. Most build posts start as free, imho and end up being ask for Plans to go with it...for free of course and sometimes they are given freely, sometimes people say I don't do that or document anything. Others like Doug (Rossbotics) gave plans for a long time "Free" and when the Plans for sale started he started adding his to the Pool. As a Premiere Tool Builder, Doug's contributions are invaluable to any and All skill levels and ALWAYS a good learning through his write ups and pictures. The costs of his plans are incredibly inexpensive and worth 4 times the price in my opinion for Quality of documentation, let a lone a newbie that could use any number of them as a beginner project, like his finger plate. How priceless is that? My point to this is: A Lot of people here do offer good details or help with "How Do I" questions out of that willingness to spend Their Time and Energy to help others...for Free. Others, admittedly post a picture or two and short description...and that is their choice, but even those sometimes spark interest, Questions and Conversation...even tool of the week sometimes.

As a parting thought on changing times; How many ads cross peoples path today, for free, and did they get anything from them? If so, Why? Most importantly, Did they actually ask for them? Someone spent a lot of time, energy and money making them but they are never Free...unless we choose to do it freely. That's one reason why I'm still here.

That's my two bits,

Cheers,
    PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 22, 2018)

Thanks

showing build details

I totally agree with Shaqui here. Its a nice idea, but apart from the excellent artists and writers on these forums Im not privvy to email addresses of many others.

Of course if people from these forums possess these details they could always send them to you via a PM after theyve been given the ok to do so, of course

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information