Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tightening keyed drill chucks.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    There are penetrants more effective than diesel. The question that comes to mind is; why is it stuck? Is it rusted, was it over tightened, did it get a bash. Different approaches for each. How are you applying the opening torque, with the chuck key or stillsons etc. Try more than gentle heat.
    history is unknown - there is some rust visible, but not excessive. I have not tried stilsons - so will try that.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    history is unknown - there is some rust visible, but not excessive. I have not tried stilsons - so will try that.
    cranked the heat up considerably, and got the stilsons to the party - got some movement, but still a ways to go. I've been doing heating cycles, dripping diesel and penetrene in, then hit with stilsons, once it stops moving, add more oils and gentle heat to pull the oil in. Chuck is now open enough to accept a 3/16" (5mm) drill - started with it completely closed up.
    I will persevere to get it to the point where it is open all the way, then I can look to remove it from the drill. The drill is a 1940-50 style solid aluminium cased portable electric drill. With pistol grip, and rear D-handle - my intent is to see if I can restore it back to operating, along with the van-dorn drill stand it came with.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    As long as we are on Chucks and Keys.........I have a very old Jacobs with what I would call helical key. Looks like the gear in a differential. Anyway I have no key for it and neither does Jacobs. Anyone have a lead or want a chuck if you have a key that you don't want to part with? I could send a photo to anyone interested. Don't know how to post a photo here.
    Jim

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information