Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: simple oil filter wrench in a cup

Supporting Member mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Thanks

mattthemuppet's Tools

simple oil filter wrench in a cup

My Subaru Outback has its oil filter in an asinine place - underneath the engine between the crankshaft pulley and the 2 exhaust headers, with barely enough space to get a hand in. Won't be able to test it until the next oil change, but it can't be any worse than my previous method of getting covered in oil and swearing alot! Wrench was from a cheapie HF set and the cut was a plastic measuring jug I had laying around. Stuck together with grey RTV.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mattthemuppet For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Apr 24, 2017), hansgoudzwaard (Apr 22, 2017), j.bickley (Apr 22, 2017), rlm98253 (Apr 22, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Apr 21, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    From what I see providing there is room for the cup you may have just solved a lot of folks filter change issues. No one likes to have oil running down their arm or on to the floor not to mention the mess many filters cause to the under body of the engine compartment.
    I prefer to change the oil in my vehicles and equipment after they are at full operating temperature but about half an hour after shutdown that way any contaminants are still in suspension the oil flows out the drain more freely and completely. Or when I do a cold change I sometimes pour a quart or sometimes up to a gallon (depending on engine size) of Cheap ATF to aid in the draining process this does very little to actually do any cleaning of the inside of the engine since it is not circulated through the system, but it seems to aid in a more complete drain of the old oil.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    I bought a filter and filter mount for my chopper project when visiting in Colorado.

Complete relocation kits are not expensive at this retailer.

I have a Dodge Dakota, and am going to relocate the filter to the engine compartment.

Supporting Member mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Thanks

mattthemuppet's Tools
    Frank, yep that's the hope. Last change I had to hammer 2 screwdrivers into the filter to get it out, then all the oil at the top poured out over my arm and the exhaust. It still smells like a jalopy after it's warmed up.

Hans, not a bad idea. I'll see if this fixes the problem, if not that sure would be tempting. The next newer model of this engine has the filter up top, so it's a simple reach into the engine bay, unscrew and replace. I guess the engineers came to their senses!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mattthemuppet! We've added your Oil Filter Wrench Modification to our Engine Oil category,
    as well as to your builder page: mattthemuppet's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information