Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Simple pressure washer tips, or oil pressure restrictor

Thanks

jere's Tools

Simple pressure washer tips, or oil pressure restrictor

I bought a "broken" gas pressure washer a couple of weeks ago for $20. the last owner clogged up a Schrader valve with some dirty well water. the washer never worked right for him and he just wanted the space back in his garage. I cleaned up the parts inside the water pump, put in some new "o" rings and swapped the mystery oil gear oil for some redline transmission gear oil. the pressure washer worked like new after this but the sprayer was missing its high pressure tips. I decided to make a few of my own.

I don't have any micro drill bits around so I improvised. I clipped of a few section of picture frame hanging wire for my drill bits.

next I used some fittings that fit the tip of the spray wand. these could have been any cheap open ended brass or steel fittings from the hardware store (mine were from the pressure washer section but similar were in the plumbing section). I drilled out the fitting's internal diameter to remove the zinc coating, so solder would stick.

I wrapped up one side of the fitting with tin foil. inside the fitting I clipped short lengths of solder, and melted them with a torch. last I drilled through the center of the cooled solder in the fitting, with the wire ends clipped flat across. drilling was a little tedious as I used an egg beaters hand drill.( alternatively I have coated the wire and centered it in the fitting while the solder was still hot. )

I have done this before to make an oil restrictor for an automotive turbo charger too. while no one probably needs to make a fitting for a pressure washer, maybe this could apply to so other custom restrictor for another builder.

sorry if this is the wrong place but wasn't sure where to put this

Simple pressure washer tips, or oil pressure restrictor-20150808_175413.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jere For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Aug 12, 2015), Paul Jones (Aug 12, 2015), PJs (Aug 12, 2015), Zipdaddy (Aug 13, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Good um, tip on making ends for those pressure wands. Thanks.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Ed ke6bnl's Tools
    the test is to see if it last any time, what is the pressure of the machine??

Thanks

jere's Tools
    The washer is a 2hp 1600psi Briggs and Stratton sprayer. I have used the tip show about a dozen times now. The oil restrictor in the turbocharger line has been in use for 10 years or so. I don't think either are going any where. The idea isn't crazy but it saved me $35 for the store bought sprayer tips and more for the oil restrictor.

My first attempt at making a sprayer tip was sized too small. It wouldn't allow anything to spray. No lead went launching off or anything like that.

I might try making a fluid cylinder to control lowering speed on a 4x6 bandsaw with this in the future. I have been thinking about using cutting fluid in the cylinder as a cut speed control and to squirt cutting fluid on the blade. This could be a cheap and simple one way fluid valve with a ball bearing and a spring added (and the right shape in the lead to seat the bb)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jere For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 12, 2015), Zipdaddy (Aug 13, 2015)

Thanks

Ed ke6bnl's Tools
    I was not being critical I like the idea, I have made my own sand blast nozzles that worked for long enough to get the job done just drilled out a pipe plug, would be interesting to fill with silver solder and do the same maybe last even longer. look forward to seeing the band saw project I have one like that as well.

Thanks

jere's Tools
    No problem and thanks, I always feel like I left out important details. Criticism is a good thing ,even though it can mess with ones ego.

With your sandblaster tips silver solder might not help to much because the sand is so hard. Solder is a really soft metal, so if you used steel or ceramics you might be better off.

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Interesting Idea Jere and saved some $$ too! Had similar ideas for one of my long term projects to use Holley carb jets on super heated steam. They come in all sizes and if screwed in from the back side would only need to weld on a threaded cap...and would be interchangeable. They used to come in nickel plated also, not sure if they still do. Thanks for Sharing!
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

jere (Aug 12, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks jere! I've added your Pressure Washer Tips to our Miscellaneous category, as well as to your builder page: jere's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

DrByte's Tools
    Great idea! Have you ever tried tig/mig welding tips for small orifices? Several sizes of small holes to choose from and most are copper clad and easily soldered. Just a thought.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrByte For This Useful Post:

jere (Aug 14, 2015), PJs (Aug 14, 2015)

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Great idea! Have you ever tried tig/mig welding tips for small orifices? Several sizes of small holes to choose from and most are copper clad and easily soldered. Just a thought.
    Thanks, haven't tried mig tips (I use oxy/ace for welding and those tips are pricey) but those and the carburetor jets (thanks PJ) could be some good options. They would be much harder than the lead too. I will have to keep an eye for both.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jere For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 15, 2015)

Thread Information