Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A simple tool for Arthritic Hands

Thanks

A simple tool for Arthritic Hands

I am finally getting my tools unpacked, and wanted to show a simple Hex Driver or Tool Holder for use by those with Arthritic Hands.

I have made various tools, to FIT my hands when they get "curled up" with Arthritis.

This one is super simple, and comfortable. Using a Cheap 3 Jaw Chuck that was itself a 1/4" Hex Driver, I drilled a hole in a Large Scrolling Ball from a MS Mouse. J-B Weld Epoxy.

I use it for both sizes of hex drivers (small, I think 5/32 & 1/4 inch) as well as a handle for Jewellery files & 1/8" diamond Burrs.

That Ball is comfortable to my Palm and my fingers Are "Already curled" around it!

A simple tool for Arthritic Hands-palm-driver-arthritic-handsjpg.jpg

the Bit in the driver is a Small hex Flat 1/8" tip.

philip,
    From the great Pacific NorthWET.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by philipUsesWood&Brass; Jul 18, 2018 at 12:50 AM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to philipUsesWood&Brass For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Nov 3, 2018), bruce.desertrat (Jul 19, 2018), byates (Aug 21, 2020), DIYer (Jul 19, 2018), Jon (Jul 18, 2018), MakeFix (Jul 19, 2018), PJs (Jul 19, 2018), rlm98253 (Nov 2, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Jul 21, 2018), SculptyWorks (Aug 20, 2020), Seedtick (Jul 18, 2018), sossol (Jul 18, 2018), Stevohdee (Jul 18, 2018), trigger (Aug 20, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Philip one wouldn't have to have arthritis to find a tool handle like that comfortable and very useful. I have a couple of palm handle tools that I often use in lew of the conventional screwdriver type handles . I can see and old 8 ball gearshift knob becoming one of these if I can find the knob

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 19, 2018)

Thanks
    Frank, that is the TRUTH! I have One Billiard Ball for another handle, When I unpack whichever Box it is in! ! !

But I have had Arthritis in Both Hands, for 20 years (I am Ambi-Dexterous, and even though I "favor" my Right hand like for writing, My Left Hand actually has MORE Arthritis in it!

I have a dedicated Large X-Acto Handle, that is Epoxied into what "was" a section of a tree branch with Multiple Limbs: It is the exact Opposite of a Glove, for my hand slips INTO Position, and stays "THERE" while I use my miniature .020 thick Zona "Gentleman's Saw", otherwise known as a "Back Saw" only Micro size! 60 Teeth Per Inch and the blade is One inch to its "Backbone" Very Rigid for a blade only .020 inches. Each Limb has been shaped to FIT my Fingers, and One for my Thumb, PERFECT Alignment to do Detailed Work!

It is Perfect for dovetailing into 1/8th inch Baltic Birch to make Tiny Boxes!!!

philip
    The Great Pacific NorthWET is dry right now, wait Five minutes, it will change!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to philipUsesWood&Brass For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 19, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Jul 21, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    While I do not have arthritis, tennis elbow or corporal tunnel, or any other debilitating symptoms. I do have a limited range of dexterity in my hands. Grip strength has never been a problem but holding on to the small cylinder shapes of things like the exacto knives are so I find that any thing smaller than a box knife a real pain to control.I really like your idea of the multi limb tree branch handle
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts
    Also not an arthritis guy (yet!), but the photo of that driver makes me want to pick it up off of my computer screen and start confirming switchplate mounting screw torques all over my house.

There is a LONG and beneficial discussion to be had about the shape of driver handles. What are our main driver handle contributions in about 10,000 years of human civilization? The standard cylinder-like handle with occasional modifications, plus the T-shaped handle?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

philipUsesWood&Brass (Jul 18, 2018), PJs (Jul 19, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Also not an arthritis guy (yet!), but the photo of that driver makes me want to pick it up off of my computer screen and start confirming switchplate mounting screw torques all over my house.

There is a LONG and beneficial discussion to be had about the shape of driver handles. What are our main driver handle contributions in about 10,000 years of human civilization? The standard cylinder-like handle with occasional modifications, plus the T-shaped handle?
    There are types of modeling clay that can be formed normally but dry hard when exposed to air (or is it heat?).

A core with a wrapping of such clay could be grasped firmly in the hand, forcing it to conform to the hand and finger details. Once hard, it may lack resilience but perhaps a dip covering of a softer plastic material would fix that.

If nothing else, it might be worth a try.

OTOH, a handle that perfectly fits one's grip may not be such a good idea. It would make reorienting your grip to either vary the stroke or prevent overuse of a particular set of muscles/tendons uncomfortable.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 18, 2018), philipUsesWood&Brass (Jul 18, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts
    Interesting. I wonder if some sort of adjustable multi-handle is viable. And, is it reasonable to flute or knurl a sphere?

I am reminded of the time I wondered if I could dip my finger in glue, and then in sand, and use it for fine detail sanding. Perhaps not my single greatest idea, but it did lead me to this unusual item (gimmickiness as yet unknown):

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if some sort of adjustable multi-handle is viable. And, is it reasonable to flute or knurl a sphere?

I am reminded of the time I wondered if I could dip my finger in glue, and then in sand, and use it for fine detail sanding. Perhaps not my single greatest idea, but it did lead me to this unusual item (gimmickiness as yet unknown):
    I would think that some form of indexing, at least for certain types of tools, would be useful for orienting the working face of the tool.

Knife handles are often judged by how well they index the knife edge to the location where the user expects it to be located. Same for a file or scraper. Probably not needed for a screwdriver which is typically indexed visually.

The sandpaper gloves look useful although unthinkingly scratching certain parts of the anatomy might prove painful :-)

Shouldn't be hard to fabricate a test glove.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

philipUsesWood&Brass (Jul 18, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    Very handy mod. Having smaller hands I find golf balls to be very useful for making handles. I have several on use on files. They are especially good on files I use on the lathe as I feel much safer and more in control. Best thing is that second hand golf balls can usually be picked up at the local charity shops for 10-20 for £1.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rorschach For This Useful Post:

philipUsesWood&Brass (Jul 18, 2018), PJs (Jul 19, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks philipUsesWood&Brass! We've added your Tool Holder to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: philipUsesWood&Brass's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thread Information