Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Slide action wood splitter - GIF

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Is that a beheading wedge...so much for what looks to be fiberglass handles. Merry Christmas Dude!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 19, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I won't split with a maul or handled wedge. This video shows another reason why. He barely reacts; unless a wince deflects flying objects?...especially heavy flying objects?? Not to mention stump teeters on what ever surface he's using.
    I am aware any kind of splitting requires solid support in proportion to stump mass and density. Most wood hereabouts is oak; I like Oregon Grenades and they work.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 20, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    <video controls autoplay loop>
    <source src="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmt-forum/axe_head_breaks_off_while_splitting_wood.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    Your browser does not support the video tag.
    </video>
    This just goes to show that you should never try to split green wood with splitting maul.
    A couple years age I went through and flagged several dead mesquite trees. I might fell a few live ones but they don't get split for 2 years minimum.
    You should try split a green cut mulberry tree. Without hydraulics it is not going to happen.
    Most of my splitting is done with a standard single blade ax and if need be a 10 lb sledge
    Ax in 1 hand and sledge in the other I can split wood faster than the wife can set them up
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 20, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    I learned on a double bladed as a youngun, then to a single blade and a sledge & wedge for tough stuff. Never used a maul and saw no real need. Most of ours was oak and Always dried properly. TM51 is absolutely right about the stability of the stump and never let the wood tilt toward you or wobble about, like a bobble head...just l@@king for a glancing blow to spit a shin or foot. This guy got Christmas early.
    Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 20, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,838 Times in 11,336 Posts
    The Chopper1 axe. Stand back, she's patented.

28-second split with the Chopper1 axe:

1:32 video of axe head rotating:

Purchase: https://chopper1axe.com/chopper1-axe
    Patent: Patent Images

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 27, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 17, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A lot of patents are issued for things that are less than useful. regular old splitting mauls will do everything one of these will do and do not have moving parts to break bend or fowl.
    With one of these you have to strike with a high force every time or risk the pawls not fully flipping with enough force to split the wood.
    Not all trees are readily split-able so no matter how hard you strike the log you still need a good sledge to drive the ax or the maul on through.
    this thing has an even wider angle than just about any splitting maul making it harder to split the tougher wood since it has such a short penetrating edge
    Last edited by Frank S; Jan 25, 2019 at 06:29 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    I'm with Frank. Seems like a Pricey ($100), semi fragile geegaw but they've been around since 77' which says something...Perhaps a gullibility or the one with the most toys wins factor. The stresses on the pins would be excessive imho and those little springs are just waiting to be tweaked or fouled as Frank says, as well as the spaces between the rotating levers and the body. Anyone that has split wood before knows the mess that accumulates around the stump after a session. Worst of all was a 1:32 video of a spinning product...I'll never get that time back, Really!
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    I can not argue with some points made.

I haven't split a lot of wood in the last 20 years but the 22 before I did. I've owned one of these for 42 years. It was a gift to my father about 1977 and I used it to split wood for him and then eventually took it to my place. It does work and it's been trouble free, no parts have ever broken.

It is a tool, and like most tools is not a perfect tool, able to do everything you want it to do. For example, it is a terrible ax, it's incapable of chopping done a tree. But this is why we have more than one tool. Bet you have 30 screw drivers if you have one. Who among us has one hammer? And every tool is not for everyone.

If I had wood to split this is the first thing I'd grab from my tool pile. It will not split all wood types, but it will split lots of wood types. It is simple, I grab one tool. I don't have to grab a maul and a few wedges. I don't have to chase after my wedges for each log. Like any tool there is a technique to using it.
    Last edited by BruceFenster@gmail.com; Jan 26, 2019 at 05:55 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceFenster@gmail.com For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 27, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 17, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I had one of these when I was a younger man and split a couple of cords with it. If you modify it by welding it to one end of an I-beam and put a hydraulic ram on the other end , I think you will find that they will work much better. In all seriousness, they might be ok for straight grained soft woods like pine, etc. Try using this on some narly twisted oak or the like.

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceFenster@gmail.com View Post
    I can not argue with some points made.

I haven't split a lot of wood in the last 20 years but the 22 before I did. I've owned one of these for 42 years. It was a gift to my father about 1977 and I used it to split wood for him and then eventually took it to my place. It does work and it's been trouble free, no parts have ever broken.

It is a tool, and like most tools is not a perfect tool, able to do everything you want it to do. For example, it is a terrible ax, it's incapable of chopping done a tree. But this is why we have more than one tool. Bet you have 30 screw drivers if you have one. Who among us has one hammer? And every tool is not for everyone.

If I had wood to split this is the first thing I'd grab from my tool pile. It will not split all wood types, but it will split lots of wood types. It is simple, I grab one tool. I don't have to grab a maul and a few wedges. I don't have to chase after my wedges for each log. Like any tool there is a technique to using it.
    Nice to hear from someone who used one since their inception and good regard for them. True about tools and having kit enough to handle a variety of tasks with the ones fitting the need of the job...or improvising.

PJ
    Mark Twain

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Mar 17, 2019)

Thread Information