Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Slide hammer center punch

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Slide hammer center punch

I have problems with the center punch walking away from the point to be marked while I reach for the hammer to tap the punch. To solve this I attached the hammer to the punch. Place the punch where needed, raise the hammer slug and let it drop and you're done.

The punch itself is a long 1/4" rod with a hardened point fitted to the end and held in place with a small setscrew. The hammer is a steel slug fitted with a bored out 3/8" guide tube that is a smooth sliding fit on the punch. An aluminum end cap protects the punch tip when the tool is stored.

All assembled, it looks like this...

A small hole in the end of the hammer slug, closed with a setscrew, holds additional punch tips.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 8, 2017 at 01:34 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 28, 2020), Captainleeward (Jan 19, 2018), CookieCrunch (May 28, 2018), Drew1966 (Jan 17, 2018), Jon (Feb 26, 2016), kbalch (Feb 26, 2016), Moby Duck (Jan 27, 2017), mwmkravchenko (Feb 27, 2020), oldcaptainrusty (Jan 18, 2018), PJs (Feb 29, 2016), Priemsy (May 26, 2018), rendoman (Feb 29, 2016), rgsparber (May 26, 2018), rlm98253 (Jan 17, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 30, 2018), Sculptorjohn (Mar 2, 2016), StephenL (Jan 19, 2018), thoms_here (Jan 14, 2017), tom petersoin (Mar 11, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks mklotz! We've added your Tap to our Measuring and Marking category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Hi Marv,
    One question, where do you put your hand ? No risk of having your fingers pinched with the sliding sleeve ?
    Good idea anyway.
    Thanks,
    Christophe
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Mineau View Post
    Hi Marv,
    One question, where do you put your hand ? No risk of having your fingers pinched with the sliding sleeve ?
    Good idea anyway.
    Thanks,
    Christophe
    The second picture shows the hammer fully seated on the rod that holds the punch. Note that a section of the rod above the tip is still visible. The hammer section can't reach that area. That's where you put your fingers.

Unlike my other slide hammer design...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...7212#post36644

on this one I usually do not drop the hammer and let it slide freely down the rod bearing the punch. Rather, while holding the rod as described above, I grasp the hammer with my other hand and use it to tap on the top of the rod.

The fundamental idea behind both these tools is that the hammer is attached to the punch and, as a result, you don't lose registration while searching for and grasping the hammer.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,
    I like both of your slide hammer center/prick punches. Do you have a preference over one or the other?
    Thanks for the postings.
    Paul

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Marv,
    I like both of your slide hammer center/prick punches. Do you have a preference over one or the other?
    Thanks for the postings.
    Paul
    Actually, I like them both but for different tasks. The one with the smaller hammer is something of a light-weight. I designed it to be a prick punch and it does that job well but it doesn't leave a very deep impression. I needed a real center punch and when I designed it I retained the captive slide hammer design but made it heavier so it would leave a deeper impression.

Sensible people will probably say, "Why don't you just learn to pick up the hammer without moving the punch?" and they would have a point. Still, at heart I'm as much a wannabe tool designer as I am a model builder, so I get lots of satisfaction out of designing specialized tools.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 28, 2020), Paul Jones (Feb 29, 2016), thoms_here (Jan 14, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Jan 20, 2018)

Thanks
    This is a great looking tool and a great idea! I hate using a cheap automatic punch that hardly leaves a dimple. Thanks for posting.

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Sazam I want one of those slide slammers...Hammers...:O) nice tool for sure.

P.S. I was gonna think of that...but forgot he he

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Nice looking tool!

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Actually, I like them both but for different tasks. The one with the smaller hammer is something of a light-weight. I designed it to be a prick punch and it does that job well but it doesn't leave a very deep impression. I needed a real center punch and when I designed it I retained the captive slide hammer design but made it heavier so it would leave a deeper impression.
    Having messed up a few layouts requiring waling the punch point over to where it should be I'm always looking for a better way. Which brings up the question what do you do if you need you two hands for something other than lifting the weight up? I'm on the look out for a spring loaded solution that would come in handy at work. Sometimes the work is vertical or even upside down making gravity your enemy.

Sensible people will probably say, "Why don't you just learn to pick up the hammer without moving the punch?" and they would have a point. Still, at heart I'm as much a wannabe tool designer as I am a model builder, so I get lots of satisfaction out of designing specialized tools.
    Yep, I just put a little work in on a drilling guide to be used on extrusions and yes it is very satisfying. You do seem to be very busy with tool development, I actually look forward to your posts.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information